Sony Vaio VGN-NR series keyboard replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyromaster114

Okay, so my sister's Sony Vaio VGN-NR120E has a damaged keyboard.
I found a place to buy the part (ebay, various other sites, etc. all sell them...) but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how the heck to get the keyboard off of the thing to replace it.

Has anyone replaced a keyboard on a Sony Vaio VGN-NR series before or knows how to do it? I'm fairly confident in my abilities but I want to avoid dismantling parts of the computer I don't need to, so any insight on how it's fastened on there would help.

Hi

sony laptops use (like most do) very small clips at the top of the keyboard, usually 3 or 4 of them along with screws from the bottom,, finding which screws is a trial, unlike Dell who mark the screws (k) for keyboard, (p) for palmrest etc etc.

Once you find out which screws they are get a credit card or similar and slide it across the top of the keyboard between the top and the case, you will feel the clips, use another card to gently lift the keyboard at the same time, be careful once done as their is a ribbon cable on a plug that connects to the motherboard, a gentle pull should pull it out if its a molex type, or else it may be a lift up the black bar type and slide the cable out, or slide a little lug on either side up (to the side etc) to remove the cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back