Sony will sell the Xperia Tablet Z in the US starting at $499

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Last month Sony unveiled their latest flagship tablet, known as the Xperia Tablet Z. The slate was scheduled to launch in Japan this spring in black and white but up until now, no plans were announced to bring the device to the US. That’s all changed this week at Mobile World Congress as we are now hearing Sony will bring the Tablet Z stateside in the not-too-distant future.

In case you missed the original announcement, the 10-1.inch Xperia Tablet Z ships with a 1,920 x 1,200 resolution display with a pixel density of 224 PPI that’s said to be enhanced with Sony’s Bravia Engine 2. Inside is a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro SoC ticking along at 1.5GHz paired with 2GB of system memory.

sony xperia tablet tablet xperia tablet z tablet z

There’s an 8.1-megapixel camera on the rear, a microSD card slot, Sony S-Force audio technology, internal IR blaster, NFC and LTE connectivity. The 6,000mAh battery should be good for more than eight hours of uptime, according to Sony. The slate will ship with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean although officials say an update to 4.2 will be available once the tablet launches.

Internal specifications aside, Sony’s new tablet grabbed media attention for its incredibly sleek design. At just 6.9mm thick, it’s thinner than Apple’s iPad mini and weighs in at 495g.

Sony has yet to announce a release date for US customers but we do know the Tablet Z will sell for $499 with 16GB of storage and $599 if you want the 32GB model.

Permalink to story.

No front facing camera? That is strange. Anyways, looks promising but would be better if priced at 399.

I can make out a small circle at the top in that picture, which I would assume to be the front facing camera.

I'm 99% certain there's a front camera.
Anyway, the only thing that bothers me is their aim to make it so thin has hampered battery life. That battery isn't tiny but I can imagine a 1080 screen sucking a lot of power.

No front facing camera? That is strange. Anyways, looks promising but would be better if priced at 399.
It has a great front facing camera. And looks like it is a fantastic tablet overall! Besides, the [rear?] camera has a mode detection - e.g. portrait, landscape mode, etc.
Also see how it suvives a submersion: http://goo.gl/Y3NhZ

Pricey on this one. I have all SONY here except for their tablets. Toshiba Thrive Tegra2 Dual Core, 1GB of RAM, 16GB IS (internal storage) 32GB ES (external storage) was $399 each I did get two of them those two are use more and after been updated with ICS 4.0.4 from Toshiba.

Back