Sony Xperia Z may be next in line for a pure Android experience

Shawn Knight

Staff member

sony xperia google edition phone

Could a pure Android experience be the new hip thing in smartphones? It certainly seems that way with announcements of a vanilla Samsung Galaxy S 4 and HTC One in recent weeks. Now we’re hearing rumors once again that another smartphone could be destined for a stock Android installation – the Sony Xperia Z.

An anonymous insider recently told Android Geeks that Sony is working with the search giant to create an Xperia Z Google Edition. An exact release date wasn’t given but we are told to expect the device to be announced sometime next month. It’ll be sold exclusively through Google Play and be available to US residents only and will most likely work with AT&T and T-Mobile’s 4G LTE wireless networks. Odds are that it will be priced at $599 without carrier subsidy.

Sony released an Android Open Source Project build for the Xperia Z earlier this year with developers and tinkerers in mind. As such, it isn’t exactly suitable or intended for daily use – something that Sony could easily change with a Google Edition of their current flagship smartphone.

The pure Android Xperia Z would most likely ship with Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 out of the gate unless Google launches Android 4.3 between now and next month. Even better news is the fact that the Xperia Z would join the Galaxy S 4 Google Edition, the HTC One Google Edition and other Nexus phones in receiving regular software updates.

Permalink to story.

I loved my SE Walkman W810, I sticked with it almost for 5 years until I got it stolen, had no urge to change it. I'm totally unsatisfied with the NOKIA (not smartphone) I own currently and I'm thinking of jumping to the XPERIA ZR; Samsung won't even feel it.

I'm not sure if I trust Sony with a new phone. They've always gotten bad reviews in the past, so I'll just stick with my droid RAZR HD

Back