Sony's latest mid-range phones have 13-megapixel selfie cameras

Scorpus

Staff member

Sony has announced two new mid-range smartphones today that don't necessarily feature the best hardware on the market, but make up for it through pretty attractive camera setups on both the front and back.

The first of the two devices is the Xperia C5 Ultra, a phablet-class device with a near-borderless 6-inch 1080p IPS LCD display, and a 2,930 mAh battery said to last for two days. The handset comes with two 13-megapixel cameras: one on the front and another on the back, both with LED flashes and Exmor RS sensors.

The C5 Ultra features a MediaTek MT6752 SoC on the inside, meaning we're looking at a 64-bit-capable octa-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU clocked at 1.7 GHz plus a Mali-T760MP2 GPU clocked at 700 MHz. The SoC is paired with 2 GB of RAM, 16 GB of internal storage plus a microSD card slot, NFC, and LTE radios.

Sony is billing the other smartphone they've announced, the Xperia M5, as the "super mid-ranger". Its display is smaller than the C5 Ultra, at 5.0-inches and 1080p, but it upgrades the rear camera sensor to a 21.5-megapixel unit while retaining the 13-megapixel selfie camera. The M5 is also water resistant and dust tight thanks to its IP65 and IP68 compliance.

The Xperia M5 comes with a slightly beefier SoC relative to the C5 Ultra: MediaTek's Helio X10 MT6795, which features a 64-bit-capable octa-core Cortex-A53 CPU clocked at 2.0 GHz plus a faster PowerVR G6200 GPU clocked at 700 MHz. The device also packs 3 GB of RAM, as well as 16 GB of storage, a microSD card slot, NFC, Category 4 LTE, and a 2,600 mAh battery.

Both the Xperia C5 Ultra and the Xperia M5 will go on sale in "selected countries across emerging markets" in mid-August. There's no word on pricing for either handset at this stage.

Permalink to story.

The last thing I'd base my purchasing decision on is a silly selfie camera which I'd use but it seems to be a fad among kids today.
These things will have to be competitively priced against the Chinese opposition in these so called emerging markets if they hope to be somewhat successful.

Back