Sony's PS4 outsells Xbox One again, Titanfall remains top seller

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Despite of Titanfall topping the charts for the second month in a row, Sony’s PlayStation 4 continues to pull ahead of the Xbox One for the fourth consecutive month, according to NPD's figures for April.

While Microsoft confirmed that it sold 115,000 Xbox One units, Sony is yet to provide numbers for PS4.

According to NPD analyst Liam Callahan, console hardware sales increased by 120 percent in April compared to last year. He also said that sales of PS4 and Xbox One have more than doubled the combined sales managed by the PS3 and Xbox 360 through their first six months of sales.

According to the research firm, gamers spent $580.3 million at retail on new hardware, software, and accessories in April, up 17 percent compared to $495.3 million over the same period last year.

Hardware sales increased by 76 percent from $109.5 million to $192.8 million. Despite the strong hardware jump, software sales were down 10 percent year over year to $240.8 million from $267.8 million.

Although the PS4 is consistently outselling the Xbox One, Microsoft is trying its best to turn things around. Just a few days back, the software giant announced that it will soon launch a Kinect-free Xbox One for $399, putting its price in parity with that of Sony's offering.

An important thing to keep in mind is that these NPD numbers doesn’t include online or digital sales.

Header image credit: Digital Trends

Permalink to story.

Well if MS hadn't screwed up so badly the 1st time around with the XB1 maybe they'd be selling as well as the PS4.

if microsoft made gaming top priority they wouldnt be in this mess! xbox one is like a sky box it can watch tv but playing games isnt what it should be on it.

Well if MS hadn't screwed up so badly the 1st time around with the XB1 maybe they'd be selling as well as the PS4.

if microsoft made gaming top priority they wouldnt be in this mess! xbox one is like a sky box it can watch tv but playing games isnt what it should be on it.
its apparently more of a priority for microsoft than it is for Sony. It actually has games and has the top selling game for the second month in a row.

Yeah they did make a mistake. I was reading a comment on Reddit though by this indie developer who put reasons as to why taking the Kinect away was a bad decision. He stated how many developers have made games with Kinect in mind and now taking it out as default kind of effects that. Otherwise though, it is a good decision for them to lower the price to $400 to better compete.

its apparently more of a priority for microsoft than it is for Sony. It actually has games and has the top selling game for the second month in a row.
So you're saying peoples PS4s are sitting around unused?
-_-

maybe it just means PS4 users play a wider variety of games. but you couldnt say that because it would undermine the first half of your argument.

-_-

maybe it just means PS4 users play a wider variety of games. but you couldnt say that because it would undermine the first half of your argument.
No you misunderstand me. How many times did MS backtrack on their original plans about not playing used games etc. prior to the launch, and now they're selling the console with the option of not having an invasive camera as part of the deal that a lot of people didn't want in the 1st place? If they'd listened to their market they could well be up their with Sony not that any of this affects me in the slightest, I have no interest in consoles but I was just saying.

-_-

No you misunderstand me. How many times did MS backtrack on their original plans about not playing used games etc. prior to the launch, and now they're selling the console with the option of not having an invasive camera as part of the deal that a lot of people didn't want in the 1st place? If they'd listened to their market they could well be up their with Sony not that any of this affects me in the slightest, I have no interest in consoles but I was just saying.
More like a defeat for the NSA. No more spying on fat slobs eating pizza.

I wasent directly quoting you :p

Yeah they did make a mistake. I was reading a comment on Reddit though by this indie developer who put reasons as to why taking the Kinect away was a bad decision. He stated how many developers have made games with Kinect in mind and now taking it out as default kind of effects that. Otherwise though, it is a good decision for them to lower the price to $400 to better compete.

Yeah they really screwed over the rest of us who had to buy it, now the kinect market is fractured. But it is really good news for new customers. I'm still disapointed that they haven't gave us any free xbox gold games.

Oh yeah and stop fing releasing games that aren't in 1080p!

Yeah they really screwed over the rest of us who had to buy it, now the kinect market is fractured. But it is really good news for new customers. I'm still disapointed that they haven't gave us any free xbox gold games.

I bet DX12 will allow games to be made in 1080P for Xbone.

If Sony outsold them in April so good then why not release the April numbers? It's odd because Sony is always quick to boast numbers.

Trolling or just misinformed? It's an exclusive for Microsoft. And of course it's failing if it's the top seller........
Sorry that's a typo:p I don't know anything about the game. After I read it was multiplayer only AND published by EA I lost all interest and stopped reading then and there.

Last edited:

The damage has probably already been done. It just sounds like MS are trying to close the sluice gates to me. Who knows, maybe they can turn their fortunes around.

Sorry that's a typo:p I don't know anything about the game. After I read it was multiplayer only AND published by EA I lost all interest and stopped reading then and there.
Fair enough. I am still looking at a PS4 as my likely next gen console at this point and the reason for that is down to power. I am a techie and I like my eyes to view the best graphics they can. I am surprised how these systems have been unable to consistently hit a baseline of 1080p and 60fps for every game and the PS4 is more consistent in this regard. They have also improved the chat and party systems which infuriated me on the PS3 so much (no cross game chat and getting disconnected when in menus in games like red dead redemption, the only game I bought to play with friends on PS3 before I sold it and went back to my 360 which also had better graphics for red dead - there's a pattern forming).

But the xbox exclusives and lower price make it a little more interesting plus the 10% extra graphics power afforded by losing kinect might improve things. If they dropped the price again to £300 from £349 I'd likely buy one.

Need to play Arkham Knight on something.. But transfer of Diablo characters from the 360 (play that a lot) to the xbone plus cheaper console plus arkham... Hmmmmmmmmmm

Lots to consider.

I remember my days as a young techie fondly way back in the 70's when we used to repair boards down to component level and not just swap them out. I'm looking forward to Arkham Knight myself and the platform of choice is very simple for me, it's the PC or nothing. I do wish Rockstar would release GTA 5 now, I haven't played it yet and I believe I'm missing out on a good game.(y)

-_-

Sadly that's what mine does since I have beaten Second son, no other game on it worthwhile. What games are there to play??? Multi-Platform games do not count because you can buy them on any system so if were talking exclusives then Microsoft has the lead by leaps and bounds as there is a variety of games.

More like a defeat for the NSA. No more spying on fat slobs eating pizza.
Because you know the NSA wants to see that, the master plan has already been found out!

I bet DX12 will allow games to be made in 1080P for Xbone.
There are 1080p 60FPS games on the Xbox ONE...PS4 is also having the same issue with 1080p 60FPS games but has chosen to lie instead.

If Sony outsold them in April so good then why not release the April numbers? It's odd because Sony is always quick to boast numbers.
Just another way of being vague by Sony, been a common trend with them lately.

Fair enough. I am still looking at a PS4 as my likely next gen console at this point and the reason for that is down to power. I am a techie and I like my eyes to view the best graphics they can. I am surprised how these systems have been unable to consistently hit a baseline of 1080p and 60fps for every game and the PS4 is more consistent in this regard. They have also improved the chat and party systems which infuriated me on the PS3 so much (no cross game chat and getting disconnected when in menus in games like red dead redemption, the only game I bought to play with friends on PS3 before I sold it and went back to my 360 which also had better graphics for red dead - there's a pattern forming).

But the xbox exclusives and lower price make it a little more interesting plus the 10% extra graphics power afforded by losing kinect might improve things. If they dropped the price again to £300 from £349 I'd likely buy one.

Need to play Arkham Knight on something.. But transfer of Diablo characters from the 360 (play that a lot) to the xbone plus cheaper console plus arkham... Hmmmmmmmmmm

Lots to consider.
In order:

More is true, but the games have also been swapping from 1080p randomly depending on the game. Its all a facade, they are having the same trouble albeit its early into both systems still. Sony just chose to have a few smoke and mirror techniques involved with it or use loose baselines for their claims.

The 10% reserved for Kinect was removed after about a month or so into release.
Sony also limits things like ram to 5gb for devlopers so limits are in place on both systems (More heavily now on PS4 unless something has changed).

Fact of the matter, most of the arguments about choosing the PS4 over Xbox ONE now fall flat due to changes in policies between companies or just in general. Most people come up and say "I bought the PS4 because Microsoft wanted to do DRM and they might again" when in fact Microsoft removed DRM completely while Sony added it into their system.

Most people choose what they want in a console, and sure thats fine. But if your going to make an argument about which console you choose, you better check again because Sony so far has lied at a consistent rate about the PS4 and its feature set while Microsoft has at worst only tried to improve things. People keep praising Sony by saying Sony is not doing certain policies or tasks while Microsoft does not have these same policies yet gets flamed for even discussing it. I think the idea in the end is people prefer vague companies who just lie in this day and age over companies who are up front and truthful. Not to say Microsoft is a "Nice" company or anything, but they have spread alot less BS than Sony has been lately.

Last edited:
I was all set to buy an Xboxone as I had happy times with my 360 but I ended up getting a PS4 because of all MS nonsense and forcing a kinetic on you. To be honest I hardly use my PS4 as there's not much out for either console , FPS like titanfall don't interest me. It will get plenty of use eventually. Too many good PC games at the moment and not enough time.

@GhostRyder All that matters in the end is what actually happens. With PS4, you get better quality visuals. With Xbone, you get uncertainty.

We'll see what the non-Kinect SKU brings in terms of extra performance, but (without getting into the explanation - unless people are interested?) it's got an uphill battle to prove that it's on-par with PS4 in performance terms.

-_-

Indeed. Many of the games that are currently available on the PS4 are indies and I don't believe those don't show up in NPD even though they should. Including indies, there are more than twenty games available on PS4.

And let's not forget that using the apps on the PS4 was easier than on Xbox One, especially when the former ALWAYS allowed users to use apps without PS Plus. Not so with the Xbox One.

Xbox One made too many early mistakes. I fully expect them to rebound, but the curse of success has hit Microsoft just as it hit Sony and Nintendo.

Back