Sound card madness!

Bunford5

Here it is. I reinstalled windows and then found that i don't have the installation disk for my sound card. I appear to have a Realtek AC97 soundcard. I THINK the model number is ALC655. I read it off the actual insides of my computer after opening the case. After reading this -

"We are a chip supplier, not a card manufacturer. Please read the model number of the audio controller chip on your sound card. The model number starts with "ALS" and a number follows (e.g., ALS120). With the model number, please find out its corresponding drivers at http:etc."

on the Realtek website, I opened the computer up, read the model number and then followed the link which proved to be useless. It gave me some nonsense about the document being unavailable or something. I know virtually nothing about computers so i'm pretty much drifting on a sea of despair at the moment.

If anyone can furnish me with some advice i'd greatly appreciate it.

My PC is.....

Advent T9107
Soundcard - Realtek AC'97
Soundcard model number - ALC655
The model number might be wrong because in my ignorance of all things computer i might have read the wrong number from the wrong bit of the inside of the machine.

I've actually tried downloading that file from that very page but it installed things in a folder called "Dell" and then didn't work. I assumed that was because i downloaded the Dell version, not the one for my Advent T9107 but i don't know about this stuff so it might have not worked for another reason.

Instead of running the installer from the file you downloaded, go to "System" and then "Device Manager" in the control panel. There should be a yellow triangle with a question mark under "Sound" if windows recognizes the device but the drivers are not installed. Right click it and choose to install/update the drivers. Follow the steps, choose to manually locate the driver, and then go to the file you downloaded.

It should not make a difference if that one is labeled as a dell version, because the physical chip is the same no matter what brand of computer it's in. Hope this helps!

There is no such triangle in device manager. Does that mean that Windows isn't recognizing the device?

You might have a look at this site. It list all the drivers for your Advent T9107, so it should be just a case of downloading. Then note where you have saved it, go there, and if it's a .exe file just run it, it will install. If it's a zip file you will need to unzip it first, then install it. If this way isn't any good to you, you can download a program which I have used during 2010, seems to find the right info for pc's I have worked on. www.drivereasy.com It will show and give the number of your sound chip. But note that the free version of Drivereasy is slow to download files. But you can use the info in other websites. . (If you are unsure about the spec of your pc, type into the search bar, 'dxdiag' without the quotes. It will give you some basic details of what you are running. Or download the program called 'speccy' from www.piriform.com. Hope this helps. (Nearly forgot the link!!) http://support.thetechguys.com/layout.aspx?ID={df9dd8d5-1c86-4fd8-9dc4-28c0614e50f7}&CatID={7af51a68-9fb9-420a-b21d-7deb6d409b8e}

Could be. What does show up under the sound menu in the device manager?

I found this page with all the drivers for you computer, including audio:
http://support.thetechguys.com/layout.aspx?ID={df9dd8d5-1c86-4fd8-9dc4-28c0614e50f7}&CatID={7af51a68-9fb9-420a-b21d-7deb6d409b8e}

If those do not work, you could try downloading the drivers from the motherboard's manufacturer, Asus:

http://support.asus.com/download/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

You can find it by choosing "motherboard," "socket775,", and "P5SD2-A"

Hope that helps!

*edit- Mike1959 beat me to the link by a few seconds!

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice recieved so far. I will be trying these ideas over the next couple of days but i got a bit of 'computer sickness' from spending too long trying to sort this thing out so i decided to take a day off from it. I'll post again when i've tried the things you've told me to try. I just thought i should post something just to let you all know that your help is appreciated.

Right, i'm back in front of the machine after a long rest. Mike1959 that's a good solid chunk of advice. I've currently done this bit. "You might have a look at this site. It list all the drivers for your Advent T9107, so it should be just a case of downloading. Then note where you have saved it, go there, and if it's a .exe file just run it, it will install. If it's a zip file you will need to unzip it first, then install it."

I downloaded the file for Realtek AC'97 audio and unzipped the folder. Then i clicked on "setup" and it did the whole installing thing. It even asked to restart the machine which i did. Now there's a shortcut on my desktop for "AvRack" which appears to be something similar to windows media player. When i try to play an mp3 file using this player i get the message "Cannot play back the audio stream: no audio hardware is available, or the hardware is not responding." I get the same message when i try to use windows media player.

I've also just tried this "If this way isn't any good to you, you can download a program which I have used during 2010, seems to find the right info for pc's I have worked on. www.drivereasy.com It will show and give the number of your sound chip."

I downloaded the installer file for drivereasy and tried installing it but i got the message "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the applicatio nmay fix this problem."

Several attempts at uninstalling it, re-downloading and installing the file and it still says the same thing.

Speccy worked though and next to "Audio" it says "No audio card detected".

I'm now following the steps in Tecnochicken's post. Downloaded the file i found at "You can find it by choosing "motherboard," "socket775,", and "P5SD2-A""........

The file downloaded but when i try to extract it i get a message that says "error reading the file" and the extraction process stops. I keep downloading a new copy and trying again and it keeps happening at a different stage of the extraction process each time. I'll keep trying that a few more times...

Thanks again for the help. I think i'm going to be needing some more of it before this machine plays me some audio.

If you can install 'Drivereasy' it will give you some good information about what drivers are missing. If you have installed Windows (is it XP or ??) then you probably don't have any of the .net frameworks installed. 'Drivereasy' requires .net 2 to be installed before it can be run. So if no .net frameworks, you can get (as a minimum for this part) .net 1.1, download & install, then scroll down same page, to the link to '.net 2.0', same again;- download and install.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en

Then install 'Drivereasy'. Should work now. Install it & scan and see what the results are.
If you formatted the Hard drive, you won't have the chipset driver either. As you have got 'Speccy' to work, have click on the 'Motherboard' heading in the list. Find the Chipset maker and number. ( I have an idea it's SIS 649 )
That should be the first file that you install, before graphics or sound drivers.
'Drivereasy' should show it as 'missing' (ie Red) You can then download that one, from it's maker, (SIS or intel w/ever). You should be much nearer hearing sound after that lot!!

Ok, i installed .net 1.1 and 2.0 then i tried Drivereasy and it did the same thing again.
All the stuff about .net frameworks and chipset drivers sounds along the right lines because i'm pretty sure the soundcard isn't showing up in device manager.

Under 'Sound, video and game controllers' in the device manager i have -

Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Video Codecs

None of the other categories seem to have anything to do with sound.

A couple things:
I downloaded the installer file for drivereasy and tried installing it but i got the message "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the applicatio nmay fix this problem."
That may also mean you're missing a C++ library. But we'll come back to this...

Next List any Problem Devices and provide a Direct X report
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so

Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

PCI Simple Communications Controller PCI\VEN_11C1&DEV_0620&SUBSYS_062011C1&REV_00\3&B1BFB68&0&48 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    17.1 KB · Views: 2
Hmmm. a few things

1. Do you have any XP Service Packs installed? (your dxdiag doesn't list any) See here http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/servicepackxp.htm

2. Your dxdiag is also missing System Devices section.?? Did you wait for the progress bar to show complete before you save information??

PCI Simple Communications Controller PCI\VEN_11C1&DEV_0620&SUBSYS_062011C1&REV_00\3&B1BFB68&0&48 The drivers for this device are not installed.
3. I think this is a fax/modem chip, not your audio soundcard. Check your BIOS settings. Look if a setting for Onboard Audio (or similar) and make sure its set to ON or ENABLED or something similar

1. I appear to have no service packs installed.

2. Here's another one. The progress bar definitely finished.

3. I don't know how to check my BIOS settings.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    17.1 KB · Views: 1
1. Dxdiag looks same. So maybe that's the way the "pre-service pack" version works.

2. You just reinstalled, right? So need to back everything up? Or if you want you can create a snapshot of current disk image before you upgrade to XP SP3. (Easus ToDo backup is good freeware) but you'd need a large external drive if you wanted to first backup your current disk image

3. When you first "power up" you 're probably seeing a simple vendor flash screen? You need to hit the BIOS setup menu "enter" key while that flash screen appears. Key varies by vendor (may be DEL, or ESC or F8 etc.). Look closely at everything on that screen. It usually tells you the key to hit to enter BIOS. (look in corners of screen as well along the bottom)

p.s. if the flash screen disappears and you're not in the BIOS menu, it's too late. You have to power up and try again

I think is worth you
> First, check for BIOS setting (if onboard audio disabled by chance)
> And you need to upgrade to XP SP3 before further troubleshooting of your audio

See MS article HERE

I would think your audio device should be detected (provided its not disabled in BIOS) even with no service packs.. but still you need upgrade to XP SP3 as you still need it for many reasons (and before any further troubleshooting would make sense). That could also be the reason why drivereasy won't install

I just found online for Advent 6415, it's the DEL key to enter BIOS. So probably the same for yours.

On power up, start tapping the DEL key about once per second. See if it takes you to BIOS setup menu

I don't know how you people know these things but i'm glad you do.

I'll go into BIOS and check that onboard audio is turned on/enabled. Then i'll install service pack 3.

Thanks again.

If it's any help, this is what the first BIOS screen looks like ( BIOS_1.jpg or similar to this ), then you need to expand the 'onboard devices' section to see whether your 'on-board' audio is selected, or not. (BIOS 2 .jpg) Note that only the keys shown on screen work here, mouse won't do anything. When settings are correct, it's usually F11 to 'save settings and exit'. PC will carry on to the desktop.

Attachments

• BIOS_1.jpg
    BIOS_1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 2
  • BIOS_2.jpg
    BIOS_2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1
Ok, i'm now posting for a very different reason. I'll come straight to the point. It's time to hand out the port and cigars.

The sound is working perfectly and all i had to do was go into the BIOS and change the onboard audio from 'disabled' to 'auto'. I am slightly concerned by the mention of chipset drivers and .net 2.0 and all those things that i've never heard of but at the moment the computer is doing anything i tell it to without incident. When the other issues my formatting of the hard drive has caused inevitably present themselves i'll be back for some more advice. You all seem to know exactly what you're talking about so i've bookmarked this site for future reference.

Thanks to all who gave their time and advice it's very much appreciated. See you in about ten minutes when something else goes wrong.

Great news! :grinthumb Thanks for the update. We're all glad to help :)

I am slightly concerned by the mention of chipset drivers and .net 2.0 and all those things that i've never heard of but at the moment the computer is doing anything i tell it to without incident.
1. Looks like your chipset drivers are OK. (If they were a problem i would've likely seen them in the Problem Devices Report.. and they weren't there. So that's good)

2. You might also want to run Windows Update and check Custom then apply the Critical Updates and check on the Hardware Optional updates it suggests (usually, is good to install Hardware Optional stuff that appears)

Happy Computing!

Back