Sound Card Not Detected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I was hoping someone would be able to assist me. I have an ASUS 8An-SLI motherboard with NVIDIA running windows xp 32bit. Recently I had to change out my chipset fan, since then my sound card is not being detected. I have tried to search through device manager, control panel add new hardware, I have gone to asus and nvidia and downloaded drivers - although asus only pointed twoards realtek. A friend of mine built this computer about 4 years ago for me and I'm not sure if the audio is built into the motherboard or not. (the friend is unreachable for any advice) I first noticed no sound when I loaded up winamp and recieved a message saying bad direct sound driver.

Any ideas???

Thanks!

That motherboard does have onboard sound. However, I don't know if you have a separate sound card or not. If you are using the onboard sound, download and install the appropriate Realtek sound driver for your motherboard from the Asus website.

Here's how to check/report if Windows is reporting driver issues
  • First make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

There is nothing there except a fingerprint scanner that is part of my keyboard that has never worked in the last 6 years.

Hmm.. there is a Realtek audio chip on that motherborad as mailpup noted. So either it truly isn't being detected on the board OR it's detected and the hardware device driver status = OK (which is why it's not listed as a Problem Device)

Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag. Click the Sound tab.
> Is a Device Name and Id listed or is none found?
> If none found, check your BIOS settings. See if any onboard sound device options are turned off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back