Sound driver not working

I can't hear sound from my laptop !!
My pc configuration : dxdiag.jpg
I have tried to install all type of sound drivers but it was just a waste of time !!
I don't have a sound card and I can't find any proper link to download it , when I try to install one , it gives one error or the other !!
in dxdiag under sound tab it looks like this dxdiag_sound.jpg
Under device management it shows the following list :
Under modems option:modem.jpg
Under sound and audio controllers :sound and audio controllers.jpg
Under system devices : system_devices.jpg
can u plz help me resolve this big issue ?? it's giving me sleepless nights !!

Hi sujeshshetty

Your problem is a puzzle :confused: but i'll give it a shot

Your device manager jpgs seem to show your drivers are installed correctly (for both MS UAA Bus Driver and HDAUDIO devices) yet dxdiag still doesn't find a sound card

1) When you reinstalled the drivers, did you first look through Add/Remove programs and uninstall any sound card listed there? (You should look there first)

2) You might also look through the links/info if anything in here might help [post=926040]Reference Guide to Help Setup and Troubleshoot Windows Audio and Sound Cards[/post]

If still problems, trying generate these text reports might give a clue

List any Problem Devices
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so

Generate and attach the full DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

I found 3 problems but I don't think its anyway related to audio problems !!
Bluetooth HID Enum Device ROOT\HIDCLASS\0000 The drivers for this device are not installed.
Bluetooth VComm Manager ROOT\BLUETOOTH\0001 The drivers for this device are not installed.
HP Quick Launch Buttons ACPI\HPQ0006\2&DABA3FF&0 This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device.

I remember uninstalling a software called "HD audio driver for smartCP" a few days back thinking that it was of no use to me , but it was too late for me to realize that it was an important audio software , now when I try to install it ,it says "no modem for the device was found"

DX DIAG attachment !! View attachment DxDiag.txt

I remember uninstalling a software called "HD audio driver for smartCP" a few days back thinking that it was of no use to me ,
I wouldn't guess that should make a difference as that smartCP driver is just for your modem.. but who knows for sure sometimes when it comes to Windows! :D

Dxdiag shows your model Presario C700 Notebook - but that seems to be a generic model. You'll need to find the tag on your computer giving the exact model to find the computer and its driver on the HP website (i looked under C700 and was shown a choice of a dozen or so different choices)

(p.s. your machine name confused me at first ;) - you named it Windows7 tho i see you're running XP)

Best to try i think next, is driver reinstalls as follows
1. Look in Ctl Pnl->Programs and Features for a soundcard entry (e.g. maybe Conexant High Def Audio?) Uninstall it from there
2. Look in DevMgr under System Devices, for Microsoft UAA Bus Driver, rt click->Uninstall
3. Now reboot. UAA Bus Driver should install itself on the reboot
4. Upon Windows startup, run Problem Device report again. I'm guessing (please verify) you see one or more HDAUDIO\ listed (those are the devices on your soundcard)
5. Identify your exact model and download the audio driver from HP site and reinstall it

Things any better? If still problem, also look through the XP links in the Guide i provided in earlier post. One should include an automated fixit tool from MS that might also help

/* edit */
To clarify step #4 is making sure Windows is recognizing your sound card. At this point, after uninstalling the sound card driver in #1, one or more HDAUDIO devices should appear as Problem Devices. The HDAUDIO shouldn't appear as problem devices after step #5 when the sound card driver is reinstalled

Back