Sound from headset but not speakers

steelth

I went back to a restore point .Now I have no playback device other than my headset . It has sound on my headset but not through the speakers.and this comp. has a built in speaker and used to play, when I go to device manager under sound,I see my headset and 4 Nvidia High Definition Audio nothing wrong with any of it..I tried to update the drivers but it said they were all updated ... what am I missing?

List any Problem devices
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag and click OK
    ===> If you’re running 32 bit Windows, dxdiag will launch on its own
    ===> If you’re running 64 bit Windows, you’ll see 64-bit DxDiag. Click it to launch the 64-bit version of dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save as a text file to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next post by clicking the Upload a File button

<snip> when I go to device manager under sound,I see my headset and 4 Nvidia High Definition Audio nothing wrong with any of it..I tried to update the drivers but it said they were all updated ... what am I missing?
Something's odd... cuz when I look at dxdiag I don't see your High Def Audio devices installed.

Try this first, see if it makes a difference. Go to DevMgr->System Devices. Right click High Definition Audio Controller, select Uninstall. Then reboot. It should reisntall itself, try your sound again.

If still a problem, Go to Ctl Pnl->Programs and Features. See if any entry for Nvidia audio, is so uninstall it. Then go to the HP support site for your computer model, download and reinstall audio from there. If still a problem, give me another Problem and DxDiag report

It said device installed successfully and shows 4 separate Nvidia high def. audio .In Programs and features I did see the nvidia audio I uninstalled it , but I also see a Realtek High Def. audio driver ...?

I'll have take a closer look later but after a quick skim again at your info I suspect
> You have an Nvidia add-on graphics card which must have an HDMI port so it has its own Hi Def devices
> Your onboard sound (that came on the computer motherboard) is probably disabled in BIOS. Its your onboard sound card that uses Realtek. My guess is your onboard sound devices don't appear in DevMgr because they're probably disabled in BIOS. But you will still see the Realtek driver program install in Programs and Features

Are your speakers plugged into the HDMI port on the graphics addon card??? If they're plugged into the integrated sound card, that would explain why no sound

Only speaker I have is the 1 in the computer I rarely used it , except for music once in awhile then I started to play some games and I added a video card so that might of been when the sound quit from the speakers, cuz I used a headset all the time and never noticed. Headset plug is a usb .So basically I have no sound except in my headset ,,,after I uninstalled the nvidia audio it said to restart the comp. so I did and it reinstallled it ,lol :( So I uninstalled it again.

First, let me correct something I said earlier about HDMI for anyone reading in the future
Are your speakers plugged into the HDMI port on the graphics addon card???
HDMI carries both video and audio and would connect to a monitor. Speakers wouldn't connect directly to the HDMI port. Rather, HDMI computer port could connect to a HDMI port on a monitor to provide it both video and audio for speakers on the monitor

As for your case
Only speaker I have is the 1 in the computer I rarely used it , except for music once in awhile then I started to play some games and I added a video card so that might of been when the sound quit from the speakers, cuz I used a headset all the time and never noticed. Headset plug is a usb <snip>
If you want to use your internal speakers your integrated sound card should be enabled. (It may have become disabled when added your nvidia graphics card which also provides for audio)
> Check your BIOS setup menu options. Look for an Integrated Sound option (or some similar name) and make sure it;s enabled. (Your onboard / integrated sound is Realtek)
> Once integrated sound is enabled, check CtlPanel->Sound->Audio tab and make sure your Realtek audio is set as the default playback device. Then, hopefully, all should work again
> You can leave the Nvidia audio drivers installed.

Thank you thank you so much ,it works great .You have no idea how this victory makes me feel .I can't thank you enough.

Hi. I am also having trouble with no sound coming from my speakers, but mine are external speakers plugged into my computer, but I can get sound through the earphones plugged into the jack on the box the speakers are plugged into ( not directly into the computer) I have gone to MSinfo 32..nothing..then I did DXdiag like you suggested and I got Direct Sound test results..Failure at step 19 (user verification of software) HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code) I have realtek audio manager . From what I saw, the volume was not on mute, so now I have no idea what else to do. Thanks for whatever help, but I am not much more knowledgeable.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    38.6 KB · Views: 0
I got it working again. I am not sure how exactly I did it, but I got it working again. Clicked on Realtek audio sound manager and pressed a play button. It blasted sound through my speakers and now it plays on you tube too. Go figure. God helps mentally challenged people and children..Thanks God. Thanks for helping me think through this guys.

Please let me know what could be the problem. I'm getting sound only through my headphones and not the speakers. I tried updating the realtek driver but that doesn't work either.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    27.5 KB · Views: 1
Something's odd... cuz when I look at dxdiag I don't see your High Def Audio devices installed.

Try this first, see if it makes a difference. Go to DevMgr->System Devices. Right click High Definition Audio Controller, select Uninstall. Then reboot. It should reisntall itself, try your sound again.

If still a problem, Go to Ctl Pnl->Programs and Features. See if any entry for Nvidia audio, is so uninstall it. Then go to the HP support site for your computer model, download and reinstall audio from there. If still a problem, give me another Problem and DxDiag report

I had the same problem and this worked for me. There were two instances of High Definition Audio Controller and after deleting and rebooting, I am getting sound from my speakers.

Back