Sound not working; no idea why

I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition, with Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC as my sound card.

My computer detects the device/driver and shows that everything's functioning properly, but no sound comes out - at all. I tried playing the system sounds but even those didn't work. All volume options are unmuted and on max. I have tried updating drivers, reinstalling, disabling/enabling, and I have no other sound drivers installed (except for the default Windows drivers). I've sent my computer off to TheTechGuys twice and they have not been able to fix it (the service is bloody horrible, I'd prefer to not have to send it out again; they've been trying to fix it for a month, which is ridiculous), so I'd really appreciate some advice. I really just want to know what the hell's wrong with this thing.

I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition, with Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC as my sound card.

That is not your sound card, that is your Network Interface Card (NIC).

My computer detects the device/driver and shows that everything's functioning properly, but no sound comes out - at all. I tried playing the system sounds but even those didn't work. All volume options are unmuted and on max. I have tried updating drivers, reinstalling, disabling/enabling, and I have no other sound drivers installed (except for the default Windows drivers). I've sent my computer off to TheTechGuys twice and they have not been able to fix it (the service is bloody horrible, I'd prefer to not have to send it out again; they've been trying to fix it for a month, which is ridiculous), so I'd really appreciate some advice. I really just want to know what the hell's wrong with this thing.

Go to start > Control Panel > Sound and Audio Devices.

Click on the Audio tab, and confirm the devices in the Sound playback, "default Devices" list.

If you have more than one option, try selecting the other option in the box, and then test the sound.

Also, click the volume tab, and then advanced (the highest one of the two advanced buttons), and check the master volume, as well as the PC speaker are unmuted, and adjusted high enough to work.

If that doesn't resolve the issue head to the device manager:

Start > Control Panel > System > Select Hardware Tab > Click Device Manager button

Please report any Yellow boxes with question marks next to them, and the heading which they're under.

Go to start > Control Panel > Sound and Audio Devices.

Click on the Audio tab, and confirm the devices in the Sound playback, "default Devices" list.

If you have more than one option, try selecting the other option in the box, and then test the sound.

Also, click the volume tab, and then advanced (the highest one of the two advanced buttons), and check the master volume, as well as the PC speaker are unmuted, and adjusted high enough to work.

If that doesn't resolve the issue head to the device manager:

Start > Control Panel > System > Select Hardware Tab > Click Device Manager button

Please report any Yellow boxes with question marks next to them, and the heading which they're under.

I'm afraid that the above instructions didn't solve the problem. All volume options are on max. I've tested my speakers/earphones on my laptop and they're working fine, but not on my desktop computer. There are no errors whatsoever in the device manager.

Given all the problems and you say you've had techs look at it (twice!) and it sounds like the drivers are installed OK, it might just be hardware. Regardless, you might find it easiest and simplest to just get a new sound card. You can find some inexpensive USB sound cards if you just need basic sound. Just Google usb sound card to check 'em out

Probably, the NIC driver is incompatible to the OS. Try to run a windows update and update your driver.

Back