Sound on my PC stopped working suddenly

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimflint1

It was working one day, and then the next it wasn't. I've tried all the common fixes, like checking to see if everything is plugged in correctly, looking in Device Manager to make sure the volume is up and there are no "mute" boxes checked. Device Manager says the card is in working order. All of that, but I'm getting no sound. I know the speakers work because I'm running the sound through a Pioneer receiver and when I set it on "tuner" I can hear sound. So that's not the issue.

I'm thinking it's some kind of driver conflict or something, but I haven't added any software lately, so I don't know why things would've changed.

The bottom line is, any help you could give me would be appreciated much.

It would be useful to know brand, model, OS, and age of computer.
Have you looked in the device manager for red, yellow, or black flags indicating a driver problem?
If you have driven your computer to high volume for very long you may have "burned out" the sound components. In that case, if you have on-board sound, you will need to install a PCI sound card.

Sorry, I meant to post that info. Windows XP, Creative Audigy (EMU0404) card. Computer is about 4-5 years old. No flags showing up.

Sometimes you just need to uninstall it and reinstall it from your device manager. Let me know if you need help with that? Also sometimes the jacks go bad. do you have a front Audio solution? If your case doen't their may be a place you can up Audio on your mother board. check that out before you buy something.

Sometimes you just need to uninstall it and reinstall it from your device manager. Let me know if you need help with that? Also sometimes the jacks go bad. do you have a front Audio solution? If your case doen't their may be a place you can up Audio on your mother board. check that out before you buy something.

Oh yea, uninstall/reinstall. Another excellent thing to try! :approve:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back