Sound problem on PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech Zombie

My computer's sound has stopped working, but interestingly the startup/shutdown sounds still work... So it isn't the speakers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Tech Zombie

Willing to offer any help, but you have to supply a lot more information than that, such as: operating system, motherboard, sound chip/sound card, make and model of motherboard, etc.

Try re-installing the sound drivers that came with the motherboard from the driver CD that came with it. Let me know what happens.

When you look to re-install, suggest you first look in Add/Remove programs list. See if any Realtek / sound apps/programs were included when you did the install.

If you see a Realtek / sound applicaton in there for your sound card (common for both apps + drivers to get installed) remove the program first. (That will usually uninstall the driver as well but then check DevMgr and remove and drivers still left)

Then reinstall

I tried deleting the sound drivers and reinstalling them, with no effect... But as I said earlier, the logon/shutdown sounds still work, which is why i'm confused.

Click Start > Run and type 'dxdiag' and click okay. That should bring up the DirectX diagnostic tool. Click on the tabs Sound1, Sound 2, and Music and click the test DirectSound and DirectMusic, etc, and see how that works out.

Another thing to try as well.....

Open Control Panel->Sounds and Audio
Click the Audio tab. Check to make sure your Sound playback default device is correct

Click Start > Run and type 'dxdiag' and click okay. That should bring up the DirectX diagnostic tool. Click on the tabs Sound1, A 2, and Music and click the test DirectSound and DirectMusic, etc, and see how that works out.

Music worked when I selected the Realtek one, sound didn't work...

Oh, and i tried the Control Panel thing, and I couldn't select a device, or change the volume... it was all in grey so I couldn't click it. Strange.

OK. Well, let's back up and review...

1. Have you yet looked in Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs and looked for any program entry from Relatek? Any mention of Realtek programs and/or Realtek drivers in Add/Remove Programs?

If yes,
=> you want to Remove it using Add/Remove Programs!
=> and THEN look in Device Manager to see if anything still there to remove

2. If you removed anything per Step 1) above, reboot and then now try to reinstall

3. I you still have a problem (whether you reinstalled per above or not)
Check if Windows reports any problem devices
  • First make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

What is the output of your PSU? This is a peculiar situation, but it is possible that the onboard sound is suffering due to a faulty PSU. I have seen a PC have extremely poor color quality due to onboard graphics affected by the PSU, so I'm thinking it may be the same for the audio. This may not necessarily be the problem for you, but if you have access to another PSU from a proper functioning computer, you can try swapping it in and see what happens. Please post the result. Thanks.

1) If it works "sometimes" it could well be cabling, etc. Something it works/breaks intermittently.

2) In Post #9 you said the selection was greyed out? I'm just guessing that might mean you only have the one device to select.

3) Only other thing i can think to look at (if in fact it's not either flaky h/w or a PSU)
Generate a DirectX report
  • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the reports. (If you don't see icon you may need to first cick Go Advanced)

Ooops. Forgot about your thread in the shuffle. You still having problems? Promise to look at your attachment over the next coupla days and get back to you if still needed

Ooops. Forgot about your thread in the shuffle. You still having problems? Promise to look at your attachment over the next coupla days and get back to you if still needed

I am still having problems... Oh, and this may be a stupid question... But, how do you find out the output of the PSU?

First thing i notice is you're still running XP SP2. I can't say if SP3 will fix your problem but makes me wonder
=> Have you run and installed all the XP updates for your system?
=> Run Windows Update and click Custom. Install ALL the hardware optional updates along with the critical updates (also makes me wonder if you're missing hardware updates as well since you still run SP2)
=> Whether or not you choose to install any of the software optional updates is your choice but i think first order of business is running all those other updates first!

/* edit */
Also See [post=126038]USB Device Problems? Check for Windows Updates[/post] for advice about upgrading from SP2 to SP3 (even if your's isn't a USB issue )

Tech Zombie

Do you still have the situation (you described early in the thread) where you do hear the Windows startup/shutdown tune but have no sound in-beween?

Or you have absolutely no sound?

And do you know if you can hear beeps (which are different then musical sounds)?

/* EDIT */
And an easy way to first test/verify/hear multi-toned BEEPS coming from your PC speakers

Now go to the Audio tab. UNCHECK the use only default devices box at the bottom. What is Sound Playback set to? Can you hit pulldown menu or is it greyed out?? (still as i think you once said?)

/* EDIT2 */
btw... while i know/see your earlier post which concludes "it isn't the speakers" could you confirm the sounds (and beeps) you do or don't hear from your internal speaker (you have one, right?) and advise (when testing) you test with internal only (one less variable)

btw.. aside from speakers you have anything else (like headphones) connected as well? as i'd advise you should also be testing WITH all your sound and media external devices unplugged

/* EDIT3 */
Unplug your speakers (any other media devices), If you click Start->Control Panel->Sound and Audio Devices, click the Sounds tab. Note at bottom you can select a Program Event sound, then click the Play button (just to the left of the Browse button).
Do you hear/continue to hear the various .wav files you can select from the list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back