Sound problems upgrading 2000 to XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoSv

My music played with constant tones with XP. Tone depended on sampling rate of the music. Is this a well-known problem?
Along with other problems I went back to 2000.
Please don't nag me about getting a new computer.

What kind of sound card or sound device does your old system have? Did you install XP, SP2 and install all the updates for it? There is an XP SP3 now. These Service Packs help greatly with older computers hardware, like sound cards and their drivers

Don't know about the card. Looks like the main driver is Yamaha OPL3-SAx WDM. There's also a Legacy. Never got to finish all the XP updates or SP2. It seemed to disable my dialers saying the system is no longer secure. How do I know if the updates would fix this. It's too much trouble just to try it out.

You really need to keep your system fully updated with at least all the critical updates from Microsoft. XP,SP3 will make sure you have all the updates needed

Is that all?
I don't have a clue about "updating my drivers". All I know is the XP updates Microsoft presents. Noone has specifically stated that the XP updates will solve this specific problem.

GeoSv said:
Is that all?
I don't have a clue about "updating my drivers". All I know is the XP updates Microsoft presents. Noone has specifically stated that the XP updates will solve this specific problem.

I just stated this... update XP to Service Pack 3. The Windows XP driver files have been greatly improved over the last year or so. Installing up to SP3 will give you the best chance of correcting your problem, without doing anything else at this time

Download and install the latest drivers for your sound card for windows xp. This should fix the problem. Windows XP ( and possibly every other windows os) come with drivers. Unfortunately, these are microsoft drivers and arnt always good. It is best to use drivers provided by the manufacturer of your hardware.

nissanman

There is no such thing as going to Microft and getting new drivers. I don't have a clue about your advice.

One more time...
"I just stated this... update XP to Service Pack 3. The Windows XP driver files have been greatly improved over the last year or so. Installing up to SP3 will give you the best chance of correcting your problem, without doing anything else at this time"...

I didnt say to go to microsoft and get new drivers... I said that windows xp comes with them but they arnt very good, so it is best to go to your hardware manufacturers website and download their drivers for that device. The latest ones. I dont see how that was hard to understand.

However, considering that this card is old, the manufacturers website might not have drivers for this sound card any more, So it may be best to stick with windows 2000 if its working fine with that os. Or like Tmagic650 said, you could try updating to windows xp service pack 3.

You assume some level of expertise. I know nothing about manufacturer, sound card, driver type, website... Actually the computer was given to me second hand. Hunt for drivers? I tried looking, looks too impossible.
So two different kinds of answers. And TMagic says "the best chance" too. Not the definite answer.
More things are not compatible with 2000 now.
I might get XP SP3 on disc and wait for the next time my drive gets wiped out. Or I might not. Ain't gonna risk trying now cause to go back to 2000 (after XP) means wiping out the system again. So I'm trying to be prepared for the next try.
I understand how XP updates could solve things, but the answers are not definitive enuf.
Thanks for the answers. Noone has said they experienced this exact problem and solved it.

"I said that windows xp comes with them but they aren't very good"...

The XP SP3 update insures that GeoSv will have a better chance that his missing sound driver will be there and operational after the install of the update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back