SoundMax won't install

NochCroc

Howdy,

Whenever I try installing SoundMax on my comp, directly downloaded from the Dell website, it gives me the following Error Message EVERY TIME and rebooting changes NOTHING:

''driver not found! reboot system and rerun this installation''

I NEED my sound back as soon as possible, cheers to whomever helps.

Noch

You probably don't have a Soundmax audio device. It may be AC 97, Creative or something else. What is the Dell's model and service tag number?

Howdy,

Whenever I try installing SoundMax on my comp, directly downloaded from the Dell website, it gives me the following Error Message EVERY TIME and rebooting changes NOTHING:

''driver not found! reboot system and rerun this installation''

I NEED my sound back as soon as possible, cheers to whomever helps.

Noch

For that sound max ad 1980 you have to install the chip set software utility first and then the sound driver both can be downloaded at the asustek website under support click downloads use the nav wizard to find all downloads, download both and save to the desktop uninstall the old sound driver
install the chip set utility first restart the pc ,then install the sound max driver,for my dell dimension 4600 had to do the same thing in which uses the same sound max driver

~ttm

My comp model is a Dimension 2300.

I tried going directly to the Downloads page on the Dell website for this model. When running the Chipset installation, I get an error message linked to some ''Kernel'' fuss that I can't understand for the life of me. I got a link to the appropriate driver to download (I been using SoundMax for years on this same machine) and considering the chipset installation failed, I've no clue where to go from there.

Cheers for the help.

List any Problem Devices
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag and click OK
    ===> If you’re running 32 bit Windows, dxdiag will launch on its own
    ===> If you’re running 64 bit Windows, you’ll see 64-bit DxDiag. Click it to launch the 64-bit version of dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot window, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

Here is the attachment. The msinfo32 command didn't open anything, after two attempts, which seems odd.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    42.8 KB · Views: 8
The good news is Windows IS at least detecting your onboard AC97 sound card (i was concerned it may have failed or been disabled in BIOS). But if you look under System Devices in your dxdiag, your sound card appears so it's detected in your hardware
Code:
     Name: Contrôleur audio multimédia
Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D5&SUBSYS_01D51028&REV_02\3&172E68DD&0&FD
   Driver: n/a

As to msinfo32 not running, is often due to Windows "PC Health" subsystem problem. Do you have your XP install CD? you'd need it to reinstall PC Health.

As to audio driver, will post back later or tomorrow when i have a chance to look further

OK. First a few "tech tidbits" as fyi for anyone reading this thread in the future that may help one troubleshoot AC97 sound card issues

1. All internal AC97 sound cards connect to the computer's internal "PCI" bus. This includes both onboard and internal addon sound cards (vs. addon USB sound cards which connect to USB)

2. If you look at the System Devices section of dxdiag report, you find dxdiag lists all PCI connected hardware devices Windows detects on your computer. Again, this was in your dxdiag report so your AC97 sound card IS detected! (a first good step :) )
Code:
   Name: Contrôleur audio multimédia
Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D5&SUBSYS_01D51028&REV_02\3&172E68DD&0&FD
   Driver: n/a

3. AC97 sound cards that are missing their driver always (as far as i've seen) have the generic name "Multimedia Audio Controller" or in your case, it had that name even in French! ;) p.s. When Windows finds a driver it takes the device name from the driver file! So the device name In DevMgr usually changes before and after a device driver is found

4. Your onboard AC97 sound card is an Intel chip. We know this because the PCI vendor ID of your sound card is 8086. No small coincidence that PCI vendor ID 8086 is assigned to Intel
Code:
Device ID: PCI\VEN_[COLOR="Red"][B]8086[/B][/COLOR]&DEV_24D5&SUBSYS_01D51028&REV_02\3&172E68DD&0&FD
And all Intel Desktop AC97 chips use a driver from either
> IDT Sigmatel
> Realtek or
> ADI Soundmax

For your Intel desktop audio chip, it looks like it's Soundmax. All that said, please post the actual service tag on your Dell and will continue later..
/* edit */
I ask for the service tag as i see an anomaly. You said
My comp model is a Dimension 2300.
and dxdiag says the "Model Code" is
System Model: Dell DE051
Dell maps that model code to a Dimension 1100. At first glance, both the 1100 and 2300 Dells have similar hardware (but drivers from Dell are different versions) so would like to check your model based on your service tag

Ok, so I am having the same issue with my dad's pc. Dell Dimension 2400, used service tag to download applicable drivers. When trying to install audio driver, I get popup window saying "Severe" in the title bar and the error message states "Driver not found! Reboot system and rerun this application"

I have tried multiple times installing and trying multiple forum suggestions with no solution.

msinfo32:
Multimedia Audio Controller PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C5&SUBSYS_01601028&REV_01\3&172E68DD&0&FD This device is not configured correctly.

I will also attach a dxdiag report. I am hoping that I will get some luck just as NochCroc did!

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    33.4 KB · Views: 1
Ok, so I am having the same issue with my dad's pc. Dell Dimension 2400, used service tag to download applicable drivers. When trying to install audio driver, I get popup window saying "Severe" in the title bar and the error message states "Driver not found! Reboot system and rerun this application"

I have tried multiple times installing and trying multiple forum suggestions with no solution.

msinfo32:
Multimedia Audio Controller PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C5&SUBSYS_01601028&REV_01\3&172E68DD&0&FD This device is not configured correctly.

I will also attach a dxdiag report. I am hoping that I will get some luck just as NochCroc did!
Fascinating.

1) dxdiag also says you have a Dimension 2400
2) I downloaded the Dimension 2400 audio driver on the Dell site and looked at its driver files. Sure enough, it's not a match for your sound card! The driver on the site is for a similar Intel audio chip as the one on your computer but they have different IDs (and your ID doesn't match what the driver is looking for). Try THIS Dell driver download instead

Hope it helps

Fascinating.

1) dxdiag also says you have a Dimension 2400
2) I downloaded the Dimension 2400 audio driver on the Dell site and looked at its driver files. Sure enough, it's not a match for your sound card! The driver on the site is for a similar Intel audio chip as the one on your computer but they have different IDs (and your ID doesn't match what the driver is looking for). Try /support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=R105155]THIS[/URL] Dell driver download instead

Hope it helps

I was so hoping that this would be the solution... but it wasn't. I followed the driver link and installed it. I received a window asking for a restart. Restarted computer and opened up the Sounds and Audio Devices control panel. No audio device found. Looked at Device Manager and found yellow question mark next to "SoundMAX Indegrated Digital Audio". I uninstalled this item and restarted computer, and Found New Hardware Wizard window came up. I directed it to look for the XP driver folder within R105155, I received a window that stated "Cannot Start this Hardware... Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Everytime I restart the computer or power it on, I hear a small pop in my speakers as if there for an instant there is audio.

Any other ideas?

Hmmm.... Then let's try this...

1) First, open CtlPnl->Add/Remove Programs and look if there's any Soundmax (or Analog Devices) entry (might be one left behind after our last install attempt). If found, uninstall it using Add/Remove Programs

2) I searched a driver database and found a Dell driver for: Dimension 2400, XP that also matched your audio card's Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C5&SUBSYS_01601028
> fyi... HERE's the page about the driver
> I copied its download link HERE
> also fyi.. If one were to try download the driver directly from that web page one should scroll ALL THE WAY DOWN to the end of the page and use the download link at the very end of the page (that's the link i just provided for you)

/* EDIT */
Other option is try to let Windows search for the driver. in Device Manager, rt click the device select Update Driver and let Windows search online

Hmmm.... Then let's try this...

1) First, open CtlPnl->Add/Remove Programs and look if there's any Soundmax (or Analog Devices) entry (might be one left behind after our last install attempt). If found, uninstall it using Add/Remove Programs

2) I searched a driver database and found a Dell driver for: Dimension 2400, XP that also matched your audio card's Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C5&SUBSYS_01601028
> fyi... /scan/driver_file_detail.php?inf_file_id=182684&md5=138dbdfc8de204145d2b551199923af1&scanid=DA1021370BFA4A30A827D87D2DDAF7F8&item_id=17552562&hardware_id=PCI\VEN_8086%26DEV_24C5%26SUBSYS_01601028"]HERE[/URL]'s the page about the driver
> I copied its download link [/scan/download_file.php?url=ftp%3A%2F%2Fftp.dell.com%2Faudio%2FR81063.EXE++&hardware_id=PCI%5CVEN_8086%26DEV_24C5%26SUBSYS_01601028&driver_inf_file_id=182684&scanid=DA1021370BFA4A30A827D87D2DDAF7F8"]HERE[/URL]
> also fyi.. If one were to try download the driver directly from that web page one should scroll ALL THE WAY DOWN to the end of the page and use the download link at the very end of the page (that's the link i just provided for you)

/* EDIT */
Other option is try to let Windows search for the driver. in Device Manager, rt click the device select Update Driver and let Windows search online

RE: Your Step#1) Found SoundMAX entry and removed. Restarted comp and attempted reinstallation via driver location for R105155. No changes.

RE: Your Step#2) Followed your link to download R81063. Upon installing, I was presented with the dialog box "Severe" in the title bar and the error message states "Driver not found! Reboot system and rerun this application"

RE: Your EDIT Step) Rebooted. Allowed computer to start Found Hardware Wizard. Directed to folder containing XP driver for R105155. Clicked to update driver and was presented with a dialog box stating: "Cannot Continue the Hardware Update Wizard... The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed."

Sheesh, this comp sure is being difficult! I thank you for your help in this!

The on-board sound chip may be damaged and you will need to install a PCI sound card or buy a USB sound device

Back