Spam on Windows Live Messenger, even after reformat

Status
Not open for further replies.

adu123

I've been receiving lots of spam e-mails ( mostly ads.) in my Window Live Messenger account lately, at first I thought it was some sort of trojan program that caused it, but even after I reformat my drive, those annoying spam e-mails kept coming in, and I don't know what to do to stop them, please help~

btw, I use facebook quite frequently, is there a possibility that the spams were send by facebook??

thx in advance for your help:)

First, go to our Virus and Malware removal forum and read the Updated 8 Steps sticky. Follow the steps in order as given and then post there with the three required logs.

Second, Facebook is an excellent way to become harrassed with spamming and infections. :evil: Seriously, it is.

Third, what security software are your running, is it kept up-to-date, and are you behind a router?

First, go to our Virus and Malware removal forum and read the Updated 8 Steps sticky. Follow the steps in order as given and then post there with the three required logs.
I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think this step is necessary since I just reformat my computer as I stated in my last post.:)

Third, what security software are your running, is it kept up-to-date, and are you behind a router?
I'm running Avira AntiVir (free version), and window defender, yeah, they are all up-to-date, and I'm behind a router, so yeah.

is there anyway to set up an spam filter in my Window Live Messenger account, does it even provide such thing?

thx for your help

Sorry, but it wasn't clear as to whether or not the spam was coming back after the format, i,e, "those annoying spam emails keep coming back.". Two have you tried the spam filters your IP offers (if it even does)? I have comcast and it provides such a service as well as pop-up blocker. Pop-up blocker works a million times better.

The thing is, places like Facebook have been hacked and email addresses have been obtained. I can't answer about setting up a spam filter in Window Live Messenger.

...filters your IP offers (if it even does)? I have comcast and it provides such a service as well as pop-up blocker. Pop-up blocker works a million times better.
the spams I'm talking are actually "junk e-mails" that sneaked into my e-mail account, not those ads that pop up on your screen while you are browsing the internet, sorry if I got u confused..

do u think it would make difference if I change my current e-mail address on my facebook profile?

thx for your help:)

Yes, I do; anyway, at least it couldn't hurt and I would also set your account up with limitations as to who can see your email account address.

The thing is the people who now have your address can keep sending them. Yahoo has a spam folder and I receive these emails every day. I just simply delete without opening any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back