Specifications emerge for upcoming GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

DPennington

Highly anticipated: The first mid-range Turing offering from Nvidia may be approaching soon, with Russian retail websites listing MSI and Palit versions of the GTX 1660 Ti. In addition to the overseas retailers, AIDA64 released a new version of its benchmark software with support for "TU116" GPUs. If true, the specifications for the upcoming GTX 1660 Ti place it squarely between the GTX 1060 and RTX 2060.

Four different versions of the rumored GTX 1660 Ti have appeared on Russian retail sites, including DNS Shop and Albasoft. The newly listed cards include the Gaming X and Armor models from MSI, as well as the Storm X and Storm X OC models from Palit. The card for ray tracing detractors may finally be approaching launch...

Last month, rumors surfaced of a 1660 Ti hitting store shelves on February 15th. Specifications for the non-OC version of the Palit Storm X seem to confirm that the card will feature 1,536 CUDA cores, 96 texture units, 6GB of GDDR6 VRAM, and a 192-bit memory bus. New information listed on the Palit card description shows a 1,500 MHz base clock and a 1,770 MHz turbo clock.

If these specifications hold true, this would place the GTX 1660 Ti squarely between the GTX 1060 and RTX 2060. The GTX 1060 featured 1,280 CUDA cores, 80 TUs, and base and boost clocks of 1,506 mHz and 1,708 mHz, respectively. The RTX 2060 packs in 1,920 CUDA cores, 120 TUs, and base/boost clocks of 1,365/1,680. The 1660 Ti is built on the same 12 nanometer process node as the RTX GPUs. As expected, the 1660 Ti is lacking ray tracing units. While the 1660 Ti is listed with the same GDDR6 VRAM as the RTX 2060, it's only clocked at 12Gbps, down slightly from the 2060's 14Gbps memory clock.

If you understandably question the reliability of these Russian retailers, the rumored existence of the 1660 Ti is further reinforced by the latest version of AIDA64 adding support for a "Nvidia TU116" GPU, as well as the ton of rumors/leaks surrounding this release in the past few weeks.

Given how close we are to the supposed February 15th launch date with no official information from Nvidia, it wouldn't be surprising if we didn't actually see these cards on shelves this month. The GeForce 1660 Ti is expected to launch at $279, while the less-powerful GTX 1660 expected to follow in March with a price tag of $229. These cards will help fill out Nvidia's mid-range lineup, and seem priced to compete with AMD's RX 580 and RX 590.

Permalink to story.

Ti potentially as fast as a GTX1070 then, which itself is faster than an RX 590. Could be a decent card for $279. Not exactly amazing progress on the price performance front the past few years but it's something I guess.

I'm not really digging the name...I get WHY they named it that but for some reason it doesn't click well in my cranium.

It is pretty goofy. Especially if a 2050 Ti is released eventually and isn't powerful enough for ray-tracing. So would that be the GTX 2050 Ti? I know that the 1660 Ti is probably filling that spot but if that's the case then why not just call it... The 2050 Ti...

I'm not really digging the name...I get WHY they named it that but for some reason it doesn't click well in my cranium.

It is pretty goofy. Especially if a 2050 Ti is released eventually and isn't powerful enough for ray-tracing. So would that be the GTX 2050 Ti? I know that the 1660 Ti is probably filling that spot but if that's the case then why not just call it... The 2050 Ti...
It's super goofy, there's just way too many 6's for me. It's like the i9-9980, it's just a mouthful

Maybe they want to keep anything with the 20XX moniker a RT card, and not have a GTX 2050 so there is no confusion when the buyer gets it, thinking it may support RT when it doesn't?

Maybe they want to keep anything with the 20XX moniker a RT card, and not have a GTX 2050 so there is no confusion when the buyer gets it, thinking it may support RT when it doesn't?

That was my assumption too, but it's a trade off because at $279 for the GTX 1660 Ti and $349 for the RTX 2060, they haven't left much room for anything in the middle. To me, that suggests there won't be anything with the RTX moniker below the 2060. The "1660" makes it sound like the card is a Pascal card, when it's actually a Turing. You could argue "GTX 1660" is more confusing than "GTX 2050 Ti" would have been.

It makes me think about what Intel is planning to do for the next generation of desktop CPUs. The 10090K? That really rolls off the tongue.

That was my assumption too, but it's a trade off because at $279 for the GTX 1660 Ti and $349 for the RTX 2060, they haven't left much room for anything in the middle. To me, that suggests there won't be anything with the RTX moniker below the 2060. The "1660" makes it sound like the card is a Pascal card, when it's actually a Turing. You could argue "GTX 1660" is more confusing than "GTX 2050 Ti" would have been.

It makes me think about what Intel is planning to do for the next generation of desktop CPUs. The 10090K? That really rolls off the tongue.

Maybe there are no rtx 2050, just gtx 1550/ti

Ugh, why bother making this card?

Just make a new batch of 1070’s at a reduced price

Resetting and restarting a defunct production line, informing partners to start theirs. GTX1070 is an obsolete architecture on an older TSMC process. It would probably cost much more and have lower margins to go back again than follow through with these Turing parts.

In theory the point of the 1660Ti is that is incorporates the gains of Turing with 12nm sans RTX features to deliver a very small chip compared to the RTX cards and even a GTX1070.

If it really is as fast (or faster) than a GTX1070 it'll actually be the go to part for the mainstream this year at $279, it'll beat up the RX 590 good.

If we consider it versus the RTX2060 it has 80 percent of the shaders at slightly higher clocks, and around 85 percent of the memory bandwidth. On paper then this should compete strongly with a GTX1070 and possibly even better it.

Resetting and restarting a defunct production line, informing partners to start theirs. GTX1070 is an obsolete architecture on an older TSMC process. It would probably cost much more and have lower margins to go back again than follow through with these Turing parts.

In theory the point of the 1660Ti is that is incorporates the gains of Turing with 12nm sans RTX features to deliver a very small chip compared to the RTX cards and even a GTX1070.

If it really is as fast (or faster) than a GTX1070 it'll actually be the go to part for the mainstream this year at $279, it'll beat up the RX 590 good.

If we consider it versus the RTX2060 it has 80 percent of the shaders at slightly higher clocks, and around 85 percent of the memory bandwidth. On paper then this should compete strongly with a GTX1070 and possibly even better it.

Sure, but Id rather have the slightly slower 1070 with the extra 2gb of vram

Back