Nvidia's Turing-based GTX 1660 Ti could hit store shelves on February 15 for $279

Polycount

Staff
In brief: Earlier this month, rumors surfaced that suggested Nvidia has been quietly working on an alternative to their latest RTX 20-series GPUs: the GTX 1660 Ti. Now, information from HardOCP has confirmed those reports, while also giving us some extra details about other cards Nvidia may have in the works.

According to HardOCP's sources, Nvidia is also planning to launch the 1660 and 1650 - and soon (more on that below). All three GPUs will run on the same Turing architecture that their RTX cousins do, but without the pomps and frills that real-time ray tracing brings to the table.

In terms of performance, nobody really knows what to expect yet. If previous rumors still hold true, the 1660 Ti will likely have 1536 CUDA Cores, 6GB of GDDR6 VRAM, and a 192-bit memory bus. However, we don't have any information about the specifications of the other 16-series GPUs, and numbers alone aren't terribly useful at this early stage.

As always, we recommend waiting for independent benchmarks before making any final purchase decisions. Fortunately, you probably won't be waiting long for those to pop up.

The 1660 Ti is reportedly set to launch on February 15 with a $279 price tag, while the 1660 will hit store shelves in March at $229.

The 1660 Ti is reportedly set to launch on February 15 with a $279 price tag, while the 1660 will hit store shelves in March at $229. The lower-end GTX 1650 will cost a mere $179, and it will arrive towards the end of March.

The pricing of these cards could make them excellent options for budget-minded gamers; particularly those who are uninterested in Nvidia's pricey RTX cards, or anyone who is struggling to get their hands on affordable 10-series GPUs.

Permalink to story.

I hope that name isn't real. It's giving me a headache just looking at it. I can only imagine how confusing this will be for regular customers. As far as nomenclature goes, they had a clear pattern of going from 10xx > 20xx. If this trues out to be true then Nvidia would have succeeded in defeating the purpose of using a naming structure in the first place, to make it easy to understand where products in the stack lay.

Sorry nVidia, for $279 I'll rather wait for 7nm shrink of RX580/590 with proper 8GB of GDDR5X/6.
nVidia is really in trouble with investors. They need money bad, if they wanna sell this scam as a "generation upgrade".

Why do they even bother with naming "conventions" anymore, since there aren't any?

No Windows 9. No Geforce 1100 series. The Intel Core i5 - which doesn't even have five cores, or the Ryzen 7, which doesn't even have seven cores. Next we'll skip 2020 AD and go straight to 38647831 LMNOP. Who cares?

Price estimates and even msrp announcements are ALWAYS complete bs. I expect to see the ti sell for 399 minimum, everywhere.

Naming conventions are not irrelevant. They give people an idea of what a product will be by looking at the name. And by past naming conventions you know the product is out of date.

And by breaking naming conventions you give the consumer less information about what may be out of date in order to sell more products to the unwary.

Business first. Consumer? Eh, good luck.

Whatever the name, it looks to be a stronger card at that price point than the RX590.

The RX580 will most likely remain the <$200 King.

I hope that name isn't real. It's giving me a headache just looking at it. I can only imagine how confusing this will be for regular customers. As far as nomenclature goes, they had a clear pattern of going from 10xx > 20xx. If this trues out to be true then Nvidia would have succeeded in defeating the purpose of using a naming structure in the first place, to make it easy to understand where products in the stack lay.

Someone hasn't seen the number of GTX 1060 variants that are/were available at one time. All of which were "GTX 1060's." ;)

See also: AMD platform naming.

Last edited:
Naming conventions are irrelevant
Naming conventions are not irrelevant. They give people an idea of what a product will be by looking at the name. And by past naming conventions you know the product is out of date.

But the RTX2060 came first and the newest/latest Nvidia offering, is the GTX1160...

Nvidia is releasing an 1160 how many years after the 1070..? (For the same price & performance?). So the naming doesn't work and is totally broken.

So AMD value the 2060’s tensor cores at $50. Not sure if they are worth it currently tbh! That could change though.

Still, if this card drops at that price it’s an amazing value.

And stop moaning about the dam name. Who cares, all these things have ridiculous names. Remember AMD releasing the R9 285 which was slower than the R9 280X. Or 1060 being used for three different cards. Who cares, do your research before buying.

Last edited:
I still find the whole thing rather amusing.

Nvidia 2 weeks ago: "The new AMD cards suck, they don't have ray tracing or AI, that's the future, we're the best!"

Nvidia today: "Hey, look our shiny new card with none of that frivolous ray tracing that hardly anyone supports yet, we're the best!"

I still find the whole thing rather amusing.

Nvidia 2 weeks ago: "The new AMD cards suck, they don't have ray tracing or AI, that's the future, we're the best!"

Nvidia today: "Hey, look our shiny new card with none of that frivolous ray tracing that hardly anyone supports yet, we're the best!"
In all fairness Nvidia haven’t announced this at all. It’s all just rumours and speculation!

And also, the new AMD card does cost the same as the RTX parts from Nvidia and from what AMD have shown us performs similarly but without the RTX features.

Sounds like a re-branding of an old platform they didn't sell all the components for!! "Let's tweak the hardware a bit and sell it as a new platform and we'll clear out all this old stuff and make a buck..." I am still waiting for all the cards to hit that "reasonable" cost to build me a new system. May have me a new rig by end of summer if it keeps tracking downward as it has been!

In all fairness Nvidia haven’t announced this at all. It’s all just rumours and speculation!

And also, the new AMD card does cost the same as the RTX parts from Nvidia and from what AMD have shown us performs similarly but without the RTX features.

Very true. So far it's been multiple reports from different sources of the same rumors, so I have a feeling there is at least a nugget of truth in what is coming.

I'm typically one that chooses the best performance/money product for the application (and budget when I'm putting something together for friends or family), so I float between AMD and Nvidia constantly. So I'm not a die-hard fanatical for team red or team green. I just find humor in the apparent flip-flopping of logic with Nvidia marketing. Hate to be a part of their PR team. Heh.

Sorry nVidia, for $279 I'll rather wait for 7nm shrink of RX580/590 with proper 8GB of GDDR5X/6.
nVidia is really in trouble with investors. They need money bad, if they wanna sell this scam as a "generation upgrade".
I think an Nvidia 12nm will still run more efficiently than a 7nm AMD and outperform it. Just my opinion ok

So AMD value the 2060’s tensor cores at $50. Not sure if they are worth it currently tbh! That could change though.

And stop moaning about the dam name. Who cares, all these things have ridiculous names. Remember AMD releasing the R9 285 which was slower than the R9 280X. Or 1060 being used for three different cards. Who cares, do your research before buying.

What is the point of non-RTX card though..?

Nvidia is not offering any more graphics power for the money. Just changed their marketing. Something you seem to be persuaded by.

Your post are odd, because they do not have the Gamer/Consumer in mind. Logically, the 1100 series offer the end-gamer nothing. The 1070 came out about 3 years ago bro... and this 1160 series is all nvidia has to offer the mid-range gamer..?

Specially after touting a $1,200 Ti gaming GPU with RTX graphics just 4 months ago..?

Nvidia is not offering any more graphics power for the money. Just changed their marketing. Something you seem to be persuaded by.

Your post are odd, because they do not have the Gamer/Consumer in mind. Logically, the 1100 series offer the end-gamer nothing. The 1070 came out about 3 years ago bro... and this 1160 series is all nvidia has to offer the mid-range gamer..?

Specially after touting a $1,200 Ti gaming GPU with RTX graphics just 4 months ago..?
To be fair, we have absolutely no idea whether or not this card even exists. It's all just rumors. Credible ones, in my opinion, but rumors nonetheless.

I’m able to view things from the point of view of the business and the consumer. Although if the 1660 is real and does exist then consumers will benefit from that, as the 1660 ti performs considerably faster than the RX590 it will compete against. Consumers win, Nvidia wins, AMD loses.

And what’s the point of a non RTX card? Well RTX is still in its infancy and is a feature that only works on a handful of games. That number will grow but right now today there is definitely a market for cheaper cards without RTX. Which is why I find it odd that AMD appear to be charging the same price as an RTX card for their equivalent non-RTX parts. What’s the point or the benefit to the consumer for them doing that?

I’m able to view things from the point of view of the business and the consumer. Although if the 1660 is real and does exist then consumers will benefit from that, as the 1660 ti performs considerably faster than the RX590 it will compete against. Consumers win, Nvidia wins, AMD loses.

And what’s the point of a non RTX card? Well RTX is still in its infancy and is a feature that only works on a handful of games. That number will grow but right now today there is definitely a market for cheaper cards without RTX. Which is why I find it odd that AMD appear to be charging the same price as an RTX card for their equivalent non-RTX parts. What’s the point or the benefit to the consumer for them doing that?

You are not looking at this threw an end-user/gamer perspective my friend.

But it is great to hear you say that RTX doesn't matter just yet/right now. So now we can all stop listening to you cheerleading-on, about it. Subsequently, if RTX doesn't matter now, and when raytracing finally does arrive, won't more powerful GPUs be needed to push it..? Making you a complete hypocrite?

Why buy a GTX2060 when you can get a used GTX1080 for $250 bucks..? So what is the point of a $250 GTX 1660 then..?

Nobody is going to buy new nvidia products that don't offer more performance (for the same price) as last generation. They will just buy more powerful last generation cards used, or wait for the $250 Navi offering RTX2070 levels at GTX1660 prices. (4 months is not that long to wait.)

Specially with a new FreeSync2 144Hz monitor.

Back