Speedrunning Level 4-2 of Super Mario Bros. over the years

Shawn Knight

Staff member

I’ve always enjoyed watching speedrunners demonstrate their craft. As illustrated in a recent video from YouTube user Summoning Salt (also a world record-holding speedrunner), the level of precision and dedication exhibited by the community’s top performers is nothing short of remarkable.

Summoning Salt takes a deep dive into one of the most iconic speedrunning stages of all-time, Level 4-2 of Super Mario Bros. Perhaps best described as a mini documentary, the video takes a look at the history of speedrunning Level 4-2 and the various techniques that have emerged over the past 14 years to complete the stage in the fastest possible time.

It’s a fascinating watch, even if you aren’t all that versed in the world of speedrunning.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

I watched this yesterday, and it was so good that I planned on watching it again later tonight. These are fascinating because it shows what I always say, that each game is like a little universe which holds a lot of secrets. And imagine all the secrets that are still unknown but have always been there, and also the secrets of less popular games that have a tiny community and so will never get as optimized. I also like how AndrewG is such a big part of this level, because he's such a nice fellow, and this has already half a million views in just one day.

Back