Spider-Man: Miles Morales for PS5 just got a 60 FPS ray tracing mode

Polycount

Staff
In context: Not many PS5 games support ray tracing at the moment, but one of the few that does, Spider-Man: Miles Morales, has forced gamers to choose between a 60 FPS "Performance" mode and a more beautiful, 30 FPS "Fidelity" mode. This isn't an ideal situation for PC players that have made the jump to console this gen -- they're used to mixing and matching settings to create their own visual modes.

Fortunately, Miles Morales players are getting a bit more customization today, via a new graphical setting that blends 60 FPS gameplay with ray-traced visuals. It does so by reducing the quality of the title's ray-traced effects (namely reflections) and lowering the rendering resolution.

We don't have concrete numbers here, so it's unclear what resolution Miles Morales runs at with the new "Performance RT" mode. The talented folks over at Digital Foundry will undoubtedly have a video on that soon enough, but based on my own experiences with the new update, the game still looks great with Performance RT on my 4K TV. If I had to guess, I'd say it's probably running at 1440p, but the image also seems to have a bit more ray-tracing noise than the normal Fidelity mode, so it's hard to tell.

At any rate, if you're the type of gamer that refuses to compromise on performance for the sake of visuals, Spider-Man developer Insomniac Games has you covered here. With Performance RT, the game seems to run at a consistent, locked 60 FPS regardless of how intense a scene might be, so you shouldn't experience many stutters or frame drops.

Of course, all three of these modes are entirely useless to a significant portion of the PlayStation userbase. With how limited stock has been, and with how shady some delivery drivers have proven to be, fans have had a difficult time getting their hands on one of Sony's next-gen consoles. Hopefully, the stock situation will improve as we move into 2021.

Permalink to story.

Great, I'm already done with the game...

This is more of a one and done type of game. Not much of a reason to do it again any time soon. Though I will say the spiderman games have more replicability than most sony exclusives. Replaying an uncharted game really shows how bad the mob after mob gun fight gameplay is.

The game is by far better played in a 60fps mode. Also am a big fan of the spiderverse outfit and the effect it has on the game.

I'm up for this, I can't remember if the original Spiderman ran at 60FPS on the normal PS4, but I didn't notice any issues, getting Miles Morales for Christmas and I'm pretty hyped. If I can play on 30FPS though I think I will, just for the better visuals.

So PS5 supports 1440p resolution now? According to previous reports it doesn’t.
MM RT performance mode will likely be scaling down the resolution from 4k to 1440p to maintain performance, so dynamic resolution scaling "DRS" (same as the DRS settings found in the PC versions of Doom Eternal and Cyberpunk 2077), DRS is also used in the PS5 and Series X versions of Assassins Creed Valhalla (ACV also scales down from 4k to 1440p or lower on PS5/Series X, to keep FPS as close to 60 FPS as possible in stressed scenarios), and it is also used by many other console games as well.

Or, Miles Morales new RT mode could just use a base 1440p res, and then upscale it to 4k from there, via checkerboard rendering or some other technique, although I think DRS is more likely from what I've seen with PS5/Series X games so far. But I'm certain Digital Foundry will do an analysis on MM new RT performance mode, so we will find out the exact method MM new RT performance mode is using when they do so.

So it wont be a user selectable system wide 1440p resolution setting, PS5 still doesn't support that yet, you are indeed correct. We will have to wait and see if Sony adds 1440p monitor support, as they said they are focusing on only 4k TV/monitor support for the time being, but it would be great if they added 1440p monitor support as well.

Last edited:
I'm up for this, I can't remember if the original Spiderman ran at 60FPS on the normal PS4, but I didn't notice any issues, getting Miles Morales for Christmas and I'm pretty hyped. If I can play on 30FPS though I think I will, just for the better visuals.
Spiderman PS4 was 30 FPS, so if you were happy playing that, you will be happy with Miles Morales 30 FPS visual fidelity mode. And from what I have seen thus far, MM looks very impressive visually, as does Demon Souls.

As soon as we get PS5 stock in my country, I will be grabbing Demon Souls (still have my PS3 copy), and Spiderman Remastered + Miles Morales. And I cant wait for God of War 2 and Gran Turismo 7. My kids have been going crazy in anticipation of our incoming PS5, but their old man is just as eager for a go!

Last edited:
Spiderman PS4 was 30 FPS, so if you were happy playing that, you will be happy with Miles Morales 30 FPS visual fidelity mode. And from what I have seen thus far, MM looks very impressive visually, as does Demon Souls.
Yeah personally I've never found 60FPS to be necessary - maybe because of my eyesight not being great. I can tell the difference, but for single player games I jsut don't really find it important. :)

Back