Split-screen multitasking unearthed in iOS 8 beta

Shawn Knight

Staff member

hidden ios

Split-screen multitasking is coming to Apple’s mobile platform in iOS 8. It wasn’t demoed during WWDC earlier this month simply because it isn’t ready, but it’s there.

Developer Steven Troughton-Smith recently found code hidden in iOS 8 beta 1 that relates to the highly-anticipated feature. With a bit of tinkering, he was actually able to get the early code to run on the iOS simulator for Mac (that explains the mouse cursor in his clip below).

Most expected the feature would allow for a 50/50 screen split but there’s more to it as the app can be resized to take up a third, half, or a three-quarters of the screen. This ability to resize the windows could be immensely useful when running, say, a mapping application alongside a chat window or e-mail pane.

What the clip doesn’t show us, unfortunately, is Apple’s vision of how a second application will look or how users will switch between active apps on the screen.

Either way, it’s a step in the right direction as users have been calling for a split-screen feature since the iPad first launched. As large-screen phones and tablets continue to infiltrate our personal and professional lives, the ability to see more than one thing at a time is more important than ever.

Google is expected to introduce a similar feature for Android at its I/O conference later this month. Several Android partners have already hacked the OS to enable split-screen functionality but at present, it isn’t a native Android feature.

Permalink to story.

On devices as small as an iphone and ipod, it will not be worth it. The screens will be immensely small.

Hey look, they're innovating (read: stealing) again. Its not like I don't understand the move but I'm honor bound to point out Apple's ironies.

Hey look, they're innovating (read: stealing) again. Its not like I don't understand the move but I'm honor bound to point out Apple's ironies.

I'd file this one under 'common sense functionality' Although since Apple is often so late with features Android users have access to, sometimes it's a fine line between 'late' and 'stealing'.

I'd file this one under 'common sense functionality' Although since Apple is often so late with features Android users have access to, sometimes it's a fine line between 'late' and 'stealing'.
You are correct. It is common sense functionality and practically should be stolen. And if Apple hadn't have sued so many times over common sense functionality, I wouldn't be honor bound to mention it.

This would be a great convenience. I wonder if this will lead to legal issues with Microsoft though... we don't see snapping side by side windows on OSX for this reason.

Which are in turn features that Windows user have access to. I can't believe the complete and willful ignorance of those, who refuse to acknowledge that both Apple and Samsung (not Android) have copied Windows 8.

Which are in turn features that Windows user have access to. I can't believe the complete and willful ignorance of those, who refuse to acknowledge that both Apple and Samsung (not Android) have copied Windows 8.

I don't know about you, but I've been putting windows side by side since Windows 95. Hence the phrase 'common sense functionality.'

I don't know about you, but I've been putting windows side by side since Windows 95. Hence the phrase 'common sense functionality.'

You've been putting windows side by side on a tablet since Windows 95, wow you're good.

That's amazing. I can see the line-ups outside Apple Stores already forming.

Google and microsoft should now sue apple for using there ideas since apple like to sue everyone else ...

APPLE = LOOSER

With an increasing trend toward comment like the above, it is easy to see why Apple are quaking in their boots and will be bought by Samsung for a bargain price within 8 years.

Thank goodness the HYPE is over.

this Apple = not good for you

You've been putting windows side by side on a tablet since Windows 95, wow you're good.

Ha, I see what you did there... you took my line about using apps side by side for years and add 'tablet' to make my point not make any sense. Well played, sir.

Back