Spontaneous feezing on custom PC

I have been working with my new desktop for months now and I can not seem to sort out the issue of the spontaneous freezing. And yes, I do me spontaneous. Anywhere from 30sec. on start up, to 28hrs. later. I have replaced the Processor, same issue. I have replaced the mobo. and video card as well. Still to no avail. I am running with more than one OS so I know It's not Windows 7 (getting that out of the way ahead of time). I finally gave up and took the custom into a shop where they determined it was an issue with my video card. "Then, why are we reading this?!" Because unfortunately after RMA the video card (new) the issue still exists. The shop replaced the current video card with a similar model (Radeon 5870) and seemed to resolve the problem, yet, whey did a new video card not fix it? Is it a compliance issue? I called ASUS and they have no records of any ATI model video cards not being compliant. The only other information I can give you, is that when the freezing does happen, it happens more frequently until I let the computer sit for a while. Thank you ahead of time, usually I'm not the one to ask for help, so I hope you guys have more luck than I did.

Radeon 5850 PCIe 2.0 x16
AMD Phenom II x4 3.4ghz
2x 2GB Mushkin DDR3
500Gb WD HD + (old garbage) Samsung 60Gb HD
ASUS Crosshair III Motherboard w/Supreme FX X-FI Soundcard
Warlock 900W PSU
ASUS (new) BD-ROM / HL-DT-ST CDRW/DVD

PS- Yes I used Memtest and Windows memory diagnostic with no problems found.

See if you can borrow another video card, preferably an Nvidia card and try it. Can we assume the video card is a PCI-e x16 card?

See if you can borrow another video card, preferably an Nvidia card and try it. Can we assume the video card is a PCI-e x16 card?

Yes, it is. Thank you for asking, I forgot to put that information in. And when I brought it into the shop, they said they swapped out the video card, problem went away. Put mine back in and it came back. So I'm at a stalemate here. I JUST got a new 5850 video card, which is why I'm thinking maybe It's a compliant issue.

Compliant or compatibility issue. Maybe you can trade cards with the shop you took the computer to be diagnosed. Give them your "new" card and let them give you a video card that works in your computer

Compliant or compatibility issue. Maybe you can trade cards with the shop you took the computer to be diagnosed. Give them your "new" card and let them give you a video card that works in your computer

Yeah, that would be an idea, but I don't really think they're going to just trade cards. Problem is, even if it is my 5850 that's having issues, does this mean that if I sell this one and get a different video card, I'm going to have the same issue? Any other ideas, before I make a drastic decision?

You've gone through all the troubleshooting steps with the shop. They should understand your position, and be willing to work with you on this

Back