Spotify breaks 1 million subscriber mark

Emil

Staff

Spotify has announced it has passed the 1 million subscriber mark, making it the biggest paid music service in the world. The company also noted that its members are sharing some 200 million playlists and that it reached 1 million users almost two years ago.

"From everyone at Spotify, we'd like to give you all massive thanks," a Spotify spokesperson said in a statement. "We'll continue to focus on providing you with the best music service possible, and look forward to adding even more cool new features over the coming months. What's really exciting is that this is only the beginning. Thanks for listening!"

Last month, Spotify reportedly struck a deal with EMI Music and two months ago, the company signed deal with Sony Music Entertainment. The European music service is working hard to make its way to the US: it now has two of the four major music labels; the other two are Universal Music Group, the world's biggest label, and Warner Music Group.

US labels have hesitated to support Spotify's model as they don't believe it can be profitable. Spotify saw a huge financial loss in 2009. The music-streaming company enjoyed revenues of £11.32 million, but endured distribution costs of £608,711, cost of sales equal to £18.82 million, and administrative expenses of £8.29 million. The result was an operating loss of £16.40 million, and a net loss of £16.66 million after taxation.

Hopefully the company's growing subscriber base resulted in a much better 2010. It would be a real shame if it went bankrupt before arriving in the US.

Permalink to story.

So is that 1Million PAYING subscribers?. I paid for a few months but cancelled and my account reverted to spotify free. I can still listen to lal the same music theres just some adverts in between and I can't listen if my Internet is down. Its just £5 A month for add free unlimited music and £10 if you want to get spotify in your phone and listen to cached music when you have no internets.

Most my freinds are on free unlimited Spotify (invite only, I gave away 4 invite codes)

If you sign up got free today you have further restrictions like a max number of songs you can listen to in a month, just subscribe for 1 month @£5 and cancel and you get unlimited +2 invite codes to flog on ebay/ give to freinds easy!

Back