Spotify inks massive podcast licensing deal with Joe Rogan

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: The first episode of the podcast aired live on December 24, 2009, and evolved from there. Rogan has a willingness to ask tough questions in a casual setting. Really, it’s less of a podcast and more of a conversation between host and guest(s). In today’s world, something as simple as shooting the breeze has become somewhat of a lost art and is one of the reasons why his show is so popular. Fans also appreciate the eclectic mix of guests that you simply won’t find on other programs.

Joe Rogan is taking his talents to Spotify. The comedian, actor, television host, martial artist and UFC commentator has signed a deal with the streaming audio platform that’ll see his show get picked up later this year. Here are all the details you need to know.

Starting September 1, The Joe Rogan Experience will be available on Spotify for the first time and by the end of the year, it will move there exclusively. Fans will still be able to access the show for free, they’ll just have to go through Spotify to get it.

Rogan said Spotify won’t have any creative control so it’ll continue on with the same sort of content it does today. They also still plan to host clips of the show on YouTube but for the full version of the show, you’ll have to go to Spotify.

Financial terms of the deal were not revealed although a source familiar with the matter told The Wall Street Journal that the deal is worth more than $100 million.

Permalink to story.

I have never understood the appeal of this guy. Yeah, he gets big name guests - but he gets them by essentially just providing them with a soapbox. He is a modern day puff piece journalist, pitching only softball questions.

I have never understood the appeal of this guy. Yeah, he gets big name guests - but he gets them by essentially just providing them with a soapbox. He is a modern day puff piece journalist, pitching only softball questions.
He has a lot of sudo science guys on that I like to hear out. Some actually have some ideas that should be looked at but there he has an equal amount that are just crackpots. Either way, I like to hear opinions and theory's outside my own or the status quo even if I end up disagreeing with them.

Don't get me wrong, I've listened to hundreds of hours of JRE, but I feel like this would have been a really smart move 3 or 4 years ago. Joe isn't getting any younger and at almost 1,5000 episodes, the podcast is getting stale. You can only listen to him talk over his guests and steer the conversation to elk meat and DMT so many times. But at this stage, I think he is an example of someone undone by success. He's created a bubble for himself, surrounded by sycophantic aspiring comedians, MMA personalities who are also aspiring comedians, and an assortment of hucksters peddling bro science and snake oil. Jamie still solid though.

Don't get me wrong, I've listened to hundreds of hours of JRE, but I feel like this would have been a really smart move 3 or 4 years ago. Joe isn't getting any younger and at almost 1,5000 episodes, the podcast is getting stale. You can only listen to him talk over his guests and steer the conversation to elk meat and DMT so many times. But at this stage, I think he is an example of someone undone by success. He's created a bubble for himself, surrounded by sycophantic aspiring comedians, MMA personalities who are also aspiring comedians, and an assortment of hucksters peddling bro science and snake oil. Jamie still solid though.
I can't think of a better time. Maybe your content is declining, maybe you don't know how long this thing will last but you sign a contract with Spotify, get loads of cash and you're set for the future.

I can't think of a better time. Maybe your content is declining, maybe you don't know how long this thing will last but you sign a contract with Spotify, get loads of cash and you're set for the future.
I mean for Spotify, not for Joe. Of course it's good for Joe.

Joe went for Corona testing without any symptoms Rogan. He actually asked a doctor on his show, if the heat from a sauna can kill Corona... If your not high, then idk why.... well big name guests. He knows people. I'd almost say I'd rather listen to Howard Stern. I get stern, he gave a new avenue of Radio pre podcasts or YT. It's free I suppose don't watch it if you don't like it.

Always knew he was going somewhere. Such a great interviewer. He's so natural and real and it's been a pleasure watching him especially the last couple years.

Goodbye Joe!!!

I am happy for him. He built a product that attracted a lot of interesting people to interest a lot of people and then provided for his and his children's future with that fat contract.

Back