Spotify triples download limit to 10,000 tracks per device

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: For the majority of Android users, Spotify is the service of choice when it comes to music streaming. But for those who enjoy downloading huge music libraries onto their devices for offline listening, the app’s download limits have been an annoying restriction. Now, Spotify has changed the maximum number of songs that users can grab.

Spotify previously allowed 3,333 tracks to be downloaded per device, on up to three different devices. While that’s enough hours of offline music to last a long time, some people, especially those who only use one phone, have been hitting the limit.

Thankfully, Spotify has now addressed the issue. As noted by Rolling Stone, a software update enables the company to triple its previous download limit to a massive 10,000 songs per device, which should keep even the most hardcore of users happy. Additionally, the number of different devices this applies to has been raised from three to five, meaning you could potentially store 50,000 tracks for your offline listening pleasure.

“At Spotify, we’re always working on improving the experience for our users,” a spokesperson told the publication. “We can now confirm that we have increased the number of offline tracks per device – from 3,333 on three devices to 10,000 tracks per device for up to five devices.”

Around 35 million songs can be accessed via Spotify using an online connection, so 10,000 downloadable tracks is just a drop in the ocean by comparison. Still, the move will doubtlessly be appreciated by users. Now it just needs to remove the 10,000-track limit that applies to playlists.

Permalink to story.

This seems like a good thing right? I haven't kept up with them are they doing OK financially or is this some sort of sign they need more users?

Meanwhile I can put as many tracks as I want off of my CDs onto any of my devices without an internet connection, as long as I have enough storage space.

So can I if I stay in 2008 but these days most new music doesn't even get a CD, think most of my current playlist songs don't even have an album out yet. I have 50000+ mp3s but I rather the convenience of Spotify and a new 10000 limit is just what I have been hoping for.

Think it is a good sign they appreciate that more people are mobile and have the capacity to store more tracks now on their smartphones, it was wanted.

I love Spotify. My only beef is that they need to work out the algorithm in their playlists.

I have about 1500 songs in one of my main playlists. When I select "shuffle", I want all 1500 of those songs to randomly shuffle.

What's happening currently (and for a long time now) is that I'll get about 50ish songs repeating over and over. And I've even had instances of the same song replaying itself, on the same playlist, in the same session. It's a commonly reported issue for some time now that still hasn't been resolved.

I love Spotify. My only beef is that they need to work out the algorithm in their playlists.

I have about 1500 songs in one of my main playlists. When I select "shuffle", I want all 1500 of those songs to randomly shuffle.

What's happening currently (and for a long time now) is that I'll get about 50ish songs repeating over and over. And I've even had instances of the same song replaying itself, on the same playlist, in the same session. It's a commonly reported issue for some time now that still hasn't been resolved.

It is hard to make a true random algorithm. I find the random sort works much better on the PC than phone but it will still play the same songs more than others. I find if you hit shuffle a random number of times you get different songs.

That means they are probably using a true random function to pick the songs. A better solution would be to use what radio stations use. They write rules for their auto-DJs that prevent songs, songs from the same album, artist, genre, or even year, from being played within so many minutes of each other. Each of these are individually configurable. Ideally, they would let the user have some control over the configuration here too, but more likely is with their licensing, it would have to just be a default set of values that the user never even gets to see.

Considering my 3,000+ music collection (all offline of course, and not attached to a service) has taken me several years to accumulate, a 10,000 song limit is plenty.

Back