Sprint's new 'iPhone for Life' option lets you rent the new iPhone 6

Himanshu Arora

In an effort to attract new customers, Sprint has announced a host of new plans to go along with the new iPhones that Apple announced yesterday. Prime among them is the iPhone for Life plan that will allow you to rent the smart phone for a fixed monthly payment, rather than own it outright.

Under the plan, you'll have to pay $20 a month (that's for the base model) for two years, after which you can trade-in your old iPhone for a new one. What's more, you don't have to pay sales tax on the full unsubsidized cost of the phone, as you are only renting it.

In addition to the new leasing plan, Sprint will also be offering a new option exclusively for the iPhone that includes unlimited talk, text, and data for $50 per month. So, if you club this option with the leasing plan, you get the new iPhone 6 starting at $70 per month. Of course, you'll will have to shell out more should you choose the iPhone 6 Plus or models with more memory.

Alternatively, you can still choose to pay full price for your iPhone or finance the device for $30 per month.

Sprint, which has lost millions of customers over last few years, has been announcing new plans ever since Marcelo Claure took over as CEO last month. The company recently announced a new shared data plan that offers customers double the data that they would normally receive on other carriers. A couple of days ago, the carrier also announced a new buyback offer under which it is offering up to $300 for trade-ins on eligible devices regardless of carrier.

Permalink to story.

Just another sales pitch, in the end, it costs a fortune (for any flagship phone at release time). To go with a flagship phone, on average here it seems to add $30-$40 a month extra, based in having a requirement to take one of the higher tiers of their plans. Not worth it in my opinion.

Just another sales pitch, in the end, it costs a fortune (for any flagship phone at release time). To go with a flagship phone, on average here it seems to add $30-$40 a month extra, based in having a requirement to take one of the higher tiers of their plans. Not worth it in my opinion.
Naturally renting and leasing always ends up costing the consumer an arm and a leg but sometimes they have no other option especially when it comes to cars and houses but a phone?...
If you want the phone of your dreams but can't afford it, look elsewhere, it's not the end of the world, maybe next time. That would be my philosophy anyway.

Any high-end smartphone is expensive. Here the advantage is that there's no up-front cost for the phone, which is perfect for someone like me that can afford the monthly payments but would struggle to pay so much in one month.

Back