SSD 960 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB and Asus LGA1150 Z97 Maximus VII Hero

Can anyone please check and verify is the newest Samsung SSD 960 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB compatible with the motherboard Asus LGA1150 Z97 MAXIMUS VII HERO?

I tried comparing the specifications but I am not familiar with tech so I don't want to make an expensive mistake.

Thank you very much for helping me out.

M.2 (2280) slot is on that Z97 Maximus VII Hero, yes.

You're fine using it.

It should work just fine on that board but it may not run at the maximum theoretical speed. I believe M.2 is limited to PCI-E 2.0 X2 on that board. In real world performance I don't know that you'd even see the different though.

I've avoided M.2 drives so far. I'm of the opinion it adds case and mobo heat. For little performance gain over SATA ssd.

Not the case (for me anyway) - my last 3 builds have all used NVMe drives. They are considerably faster and I've noticed no additional heat. Places where you'll really notice the speed is compression/decompression tasks which I happen to do a lot of. Some apps will launch slightly faster than a traditional SSD also. I also think that aesthetically they look a lot better.
https://goo.gl/photos/tcMvRRh4MMgUho2Y7

You are likely right regarding a performance increase, just researched it.

I based my opinion on a friends computer, it doesn't seem as quick as mine. And his case temps are much higher.

Back