SSI CEB question vs. ATX & E-ATX

Savage1701

I am confused - I own a case - Coolermaster 932 - that will hold ATX and E-ATX boards.

If I get a CEB board and attempt to install it, what will happen? More specifically, what can I expect from the mounting screws? Will any of them line up? Most? All? None?

The case is obviously big enough to fit ATX and E-ATX boards with lots of width and length to spare, so I don't think the board will physically hit any part of the case, but should I be prepared to tap my own standoffs and/or remove others so they don't short traces on the board?

I don't want to buy a new case solely because I want a CEB-based MB.

Thanks for any info.

If I get a CEB board and attempt to install it, what will happen? More specifically, what can I expect from the mounting screws? Will any of them line up? Most? All? None?
All.
SSI CEB uses the same mounting locations as a standard ATX board. The only difference between the two is that the SSI CEB board is just under an inch (23mm) longer/taller ( 12" x 10.5" as opposed to the ATX spec 12" x 9.6") -they also share the same I/O (motherboard backpane) dimensions.

So, as long as my case is oversized on the height and width of the case vs. where the MB might touch, which it is, I should be fine?

I won't need to tap new standoffs in and remove old ones to not short traces? And there will be enough to support the board? It's an X79 Asus board that uses the new Sandy Bridge E Socket 2011. P7X79WS I think. Their "workstation" board that will take certain Xeon series as well, but is only a uniprocessor board.

So, as long as my case is oversized on the height and width of the case vs. where the MB might touch, which it is, I should be fine?
Yes. If the chassis supports E-ATX then you're good to go
I won't need to tap new standoffs in and remove old ones to not short traces?
Nope. You seem reluctant to take my word on it so here is the mobo form factor in wikispeak....and everything you'd want to know and more regarding the ATX specification >>here<<
And there will be enough to support the board?
Yes. It's not a 2P board, and it's not carrying that much extra PCB real estate
It's an X79 Asus board that uses the new Sandy Bridge E Socket 2011. P7X79WS I think.
P9X79 WS
Their "workstation" board that will take certain Xeon series as well, but is only a uniprocessor board.
As will the R4E which is marginally larger than the WS.

No offense intended on taking your word for it; I tried looking at the specs but my main concern was Xeon mounting plate and standoffs. Not going to be an issue with a Sandy Bridge E consumer CPU that is water cooled.

I appreciate your comments and I think you know what you are talking about.

Thank you again for your help and prompt replies. I was more concerned about not voicing my concerns in a technically correct manner, that was all.

No offense intended on taking your word for it
No offense taken. Just a turn of phrase on my part. I can well understand that you'd want more than the word of some random internet guy- hence the links.

Not sure what you mean by Xeon backplate. The LGA 2011 socket retention plate is the same for all X79 boards, and probably C600 (Xeon 2P) as well, if the EVGA SR-X is any indication. (I presume you mean the socket plate on the back side of the motherboard).

Well, since the Asus board supports some sort of Xeon processor, and SSI CEB is typically a low-end form-factor for server boards, that was more what I was referencing - if there would be any issue with a consumer Sandy Bridge 2011 and standoffs on the MB, etc.

I have some 4U chassis that are for older server boards and they are designed to help support the giant copper bricks they put on old Xeon 604's, so that is more what I was thinking - that just because the form factor offered it, supports/standoffs/backplates would not be an issue when using a "prosumer" board with a single consumer 2011 Sandy Bridge E.

But I think you have answered my questions, and thank you again.

Back