Stalker 2 will run on Unreal Engine 5, developer confirms

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Highly anticipated: It was long suspected that one of the most anticipated games in recent memory, Stalker 2: Heart of Chernobyl, was being built using Epic's Unreal Engine 4. As it turns out, that's not the case - they're using Unreal Engine 5.

Developer GSC Game World confirmed on Twitter that Stalker 2 will be powered by Epic's next-gen engine.

Unreal Engine 5 was unveiled in May 2020 and launched into early access a year later. The engine's full launch isn't expected until sometime in early 2022. Having already seen what's possible with Unreal Engine 5's Lumen and Nanite systems makes Stalker 2 even that much more desirable.

Stalker 2 isn't due out until next year, so you've got plenty of time to acquire an Xbox Series X/S or beef up your PC in preparation. According to the game's listing on Steam, you'll need at least an AMD Ryzen 5 1600X / Intel Core i5-7600K CPU alongside 8GB of RAM, an AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB / Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB and at least 150GB of available solid-state storage for an entry-level experience on the PC.

The recommended hardware list is as follows:

• Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Intel Core i7-9700K
  • Memory: 16GB RAM
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
  • Storage: 150GB
  • Additional notes: SSD

Stalker 2: Heart of Chernobyl is scheduled to arrive on Xbox Series X/S and Windows PC on April 28, 2022. Pre-orders are now being accepted over on GSC Game World's website with pricing starting at $59.99 for the standard edition.

Permalink to story.

probably because it'll sell less, that's why.

/s
To never underestimate corporate greed is a given, but also never underestimate the power, influence and clout of the biggest players, ie Microsoft. Most PC gamers are actually and technically Windows gamers and if you think Microsoft hasn't already considered the implications of ALL future aaa titles being Windows 11 only and desiring that reality, you must not be familiar with the very first point I made.

With their original release from 2007 looking as bad as Morrowind is any indication, I'll wait for actual game-play before I join the Engine hype train

May 2021 the development engine launched into early access. Now the entire game is being delivered on April 2022.

Either there's a simple upgrade path between unreal 4 and 5 code or this is going to be sooo.. buggy.

Ah it's stalker, of cause it's full of bugs.

To never underestimate corporate greed is a given, but also never underestimate the power, influence and clout of the biggest players, ie Microsoft. Most PC gamers are actually and technically Windows gamers and if you think Microsoft hasn't already considered the implications of ALL future aaa titles being Windows 11 only and desiring that reality, you must not be familiar with the very first point I made.
the greed part I dont understand... windows 11 is free....

yet many games still support Windows 7, at least until last year when it's support officially ended and games only came with DirectX 12. Microsoft only force users to use Windows 10 for their first-party or second-party games, in an instance where Microsoft actually sponsored the game, but then again, some of their exclusive games has made to Steam... Curious indeed.

your paranoia are baseless and has no grounds, really.

yet many games still support Windows 7, at least until last year when it's support officially ended and games only came with DirectX 12. Microsoft only force users to use Windows 10 for their first-party or second-party games, in an instance where Microsoft actually sponsored the game, but then again, some of their exclusive games has made to Steam... Curious indeed.

your paranoia are baseless and has no grounds, really.
And your certainty is based on what? What facts and data can you provide, what sources can you cite? Your opinion is every bit as much conjecture as you claim mine is.

Last edited:
Lumen and Nanite are still far from being production ready, it will most likely ship without them. (or maybe partial support for Lumen)

Of all the games coming out, I'm excited by this the most.

The original was a creepy, atmospheric thrilling buggy mess which forced you to spend 50% of your time fighting the exclusion zone and 50% the sloppy code. I'm hoping having an off-the-shelf engine this time will lead to a reduction in bugs.

In the meantime I've just picked up Chernobylite in the Steam sale, need something to flex my 3080 Ti (QP-style shoehorn there)

And your certainty is based on what? What facts and data can you provide, what sources can you cite? Your opinion is every bit as much conjecture as you claim mine is.
based on the facts that Microsoft games are also available on Steam, not anymore sold exclusively on Windows Store. This means as long as the game support DX11 or Vulkan, it can be played on Windows 7 or 8.1. This alsp applies to upcoming Windows 11, since both Windows 10 and 11 support the same version of DirectX.

Why an i5-7600k CPU? What can that do that my 4790k can't?

Anyways, hope we can finally see photo-realistic graphics in 2022!

Of all the games coming out, I'm excited by this the most.

The original was a creepy, atmospheric thrilling buggy mess which forced you to spend 50% of your time fighting the exclusion zone and 50% the sloppy code. I'm hoping having an off-the-shelf engine this time will lead to a reduction in bugs.

In the meantime I've just picked up Chernobylite in the Steam sale, need something to flex my 3080 Ti (QP-style shoehorn there)
The atmosphere and eerie realism the original had was so good back then. Can't wait for this to release and hopefully it runs amazing.

Also, you forgot to say how thankful you are that Nvidia personally allowed you to buy that graphics card for the low price of $1300 LOL

I absolutely loved the stalker games. They are a bit different to your usual aaa games, they dont look great and are full of bugs but are also full of soul and personality. I’d take a new stalker over some cod rubbish any day of the week!

Back