Standby mode nonfunctional

nliu1986

I was recently experiencing a flurry of blue screens, and after an aggressive hardware purge (mobo, ram, cpu, gpu) and an ensuing reformat, I can declare an expensive victory over the bsods.

However, I noticed that now when I go into standby mode, it will shut down instead. Windows will not load properly afterwards since all that will be displayed is a blank screen and I'll have to press the restart button. Someone told me that perhaps my ram isn't getting enough voltage.

On another note, I also noticed that my computer doesn't have the option to hibernate anymore.

Windows 7 64bit
4 gigs OCZ ram
Intel Core i5 750
Radeon 5770
Gigabyte H55M-UD2H motherboard

After a reinstall, you may need to unset and set again (with a reboot between) some of the power-saving settings - see control panel. There is a check-box for enable hibernation, for instance. Unfortunately, a power or other hardware problem such as HDD failing is also likely.

I have experienced similar problems with standby/hibernation, which were down to not having ANY pagefile.sys on the C: drive as I had long-ago moved it to a second hard drive. That second drive eventually began to, and eventually did, fail completely.

verify you have ALL the onboard chip drivers.

My Toshiba Laptop uses OEM software for the Power controls, including the battery monitor,
and sometimes I need to toggle the hibernate/standby settings. Although shown visually
as one, it drops into the other. With the toggle; on-off-on, I get back to hibernate.

Back