Star Citizen's latest limited-edition ship will reportedly cost you $675

Polycount

Staff
In context: Avid PC gamers or fans of in-depth space sims have probably heard of Star Citizen. It's easily one of the most controversial crowdfunded games out there, and there are several reasons for that. For starters, the game has been in development since 2011, and it's still a long, long ways off from delivering on its original promises -- indeed, the game's scope has become so massive that it's been split up into two separate experiences.

However, as concerning as that might be for fans of Chris Roberts' work, that's not the sole reason the game has made headlines so often over the years. No, the game's latest public controversies almost always surround egregious ship pricing. Ships, for the unaware, are essentially how you buy into the Star Citizen ecosystem, as there isn't a traditional "pre-order" for the game.

Back in May of 2018, Roberts Space Industries (RSI), the game's developer, allowed customers to purchase a $27,000 ship pack. This pack contained virtually every ship released up to that point, but it was only available to a select group of users (more on this group in a moment).

Now, RSI has quietly announced the $675 Aegis Nautilus Solstice, a lightweight-looking "limited edition" ship with the ability to drop mines. Or, at least, it might have that ability in the future. The Nautilus Solstice hasn't actually arrived in Star Citizen yet, nor are there any mine-laying features in the game as of writing.

It's worth noting that the ship's unveiling occurred during a "special VIP dinner" held by RSI for Chairman's Club members. The Club is an exclusive group restricted to those who have purchased a "minimum" of $1,000 in digital content. Tickets to the dinner, PC Gamer reports, were priced at a whopping $274.73.

The $675 version of the Nautilus is only available to Chairman's Club members, and it features a unique white, gold, and black color scheme. Somewhat surprisingly, the default, non-limited edition version of the Nautilus (it lacks the "Solstice" name and colors) costs even more at $725, and it's the only way the average user can get their hands on the mine-bearing ship.

Permalink to story.

You know, if it wasn't for the fact that you can at least play some current iteration of Star Citizen now in the development cycle, I would swear this entire thing is just a massive gaming Ponzi scheme. So many promises, assurances your investments will be rewarded eventually, and hey since you are an elite investor here's some exclusive opportunities for you to invest even more into this amazing product...

This seems pretty ridiculous, and I'm fully aware of how much some online/gaming related items have sold for.

The whole game and development around it has been ridiculous IMO...but maybe I'm not appreciating in-depth space games.

The figures tossed around in this article are ridiculous.

You want to play a space game? You can buy Elite Dangerous for $14, Eve Online for $23 and No Man's Sky for $20 among a slew of other space games around the twenty dollar bill range.

The figures tossed around in this article are ridiculous.

You want to play a space game? You can buy Elite Dangerous for $14, Eve Online for $23 and No Man's Sky for $20 among a slew of other space games around the twenty dollar bill range.

Could you imagine, after all of the time and hype and extra funding that has gone into this project, if it finally released as a flaccid thud like No Man's Sky did initially?

I'm seriously (more than halfway) expecting waves of buyer's remorse - might even need to have support groups established where people can meet and sit in a circle and talk about how SC messed up their life.

Keep in mind Star Citizen has said multiple times you do NOT need to buy an expensive ship. All ships will be available in-game using in-game currency. Buying a ship is just getting you a big head start, by starting with a nice ship you didn't have to earn. You can "buy" star citizen for $45 by getting one of the starter ships which comes with the game.

They are on to something here. And no, I dont mean this redicilous price for a virtual item.
They should ship a high quality model of the ships they sell, in advance to the virtual sale.
And then space lovers can acquire huge collections of beautiful space ships.

You know, if it wasn't for the fact that you can at least play some current iteration of Star Citizen now in the development cycle, I would swear this entire thing is just a massive gaming Ponzi scheme. So many promises, assurances your investments will be rewarded eventually, and hey since you are an elite investor here's some exclusive opportunities for you to invest even more into this amazing product...

The game is essentially a tech demo that you pay for.

Real buying. you dont buy a game and then have to buy ships in real usd ? thats wrongl .if I buy star wars game I have to buy every ship in game ??
I just go for old game all free.

The game is a development started from scratch (12 guys, zero pipelines) able to deliver two triple-A (solo + MMO). Squadon 42 (solo) do have a beta planned in quarters and all backers can test/play current SC 3.6.1

Star Citizen might be the single best example of everything that went wrong with "early access".
Went wrong because backers do read TOS and pledged to a crowfunded game I.E. pledging to get a project started and developped?

Because indeed what is happening is the very opposite. Beta (SQ42) in 4 quarters and both games (SQ42 + SC) share same assets.

Just wait until that one collapses and everybody screams about having their money stolen .....
Precisely. Star Citizen (MMO) is curently in 3.6.1, any backers can play/test it and there also free week to none backers twice a year.

Also Squadron 42 (solo ala Wing commanders) do have a Beta starting end of Q2 2020 and all SQ42 assets will be dropped into SC at release.
+500 employees, playable in Alpha, beta in few quarters this is the worst Ponzi/scam ever :)

The game is a development started from scratch (12 guys, zero pipelines) able ... [/QUOTE]

Unable. No deadlines has been met, alpha is in joke state, this game makes more money without being released so what reason to release?
As original backer I lost interest in this game around 2017. 5 years after kickstart. ED did it right.

Of course this is a scam. You're telling me they couldn't come up with even a 4 hour campaign within 8 years, then add more via DLC?!

People are stupid....

The game is a development started from scratch (12 guys, zero pipelines) able ...

Unable. No deadlines has been met, alpha is in joke state, this game makes more money without being released so what reason to release?
As original backer I lost interest in this game around 2017. 5 years after kickstart. ED did it right.[/QUOTE]
The game is making zero money simply because this is a project in heavy development. All pledges are used to pay +500 employees.
I Don't Believe EA is making a "new (mainly re-skinned assets) for only 50M$... they did have to create their company, hire thousands and create pipelines, all for hundreds M$. there is no magic involve in either creating company or project from scratch.

I am also an ED early backer with free life update. ED did not make it right. They did not delivered what was planned and it tooks several years of multiple Targoid size and colors patch to get "possible" new interesting content.. soon. Should I say ED is a fraction of CIG project scope covering two triple-A: Squadron 42 and Star Citizen?

I can understand frustration to deal with real Triple-A time development. It is coming and in the meantime, you can enjoy ED or any other space games offering different experience. NMS, Hellion, Eve… you name them.

Of course this is a scam. You're telling me they couldn't come up with even a 4 hour campaign within 8 years, then add more via DLC?!

People are stupid....
They did. SC current version is 3.6.1. Alphas to test/play features to be used by first SQ42 then SC.
7 years by end of Nov. 2019 as Kickstarter was end of Nov. 2012 with a 12 guys, no pipelines and no studios… Meanwhile we are still waiting BFE2 from Ubisoft 10 years after they announce working on it while SQ42 Beta is planned in 4 quarters form a company not existing 7 years ago.

Back