Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is the fastest selling digital download of all games in the...

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Sarcastic commentary: So let's get this straight: EA finally releases a single player Star Wars game that has no microtransactions and it outsells all other EA titles in the franchise to become the fastest selling SW game to date. Well, surprise, surprise!

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order has only been out for less than two weeks, and according to EA, it has already started breaking records. While the publisher did not release any specific numbers, it says that the game is the fastest-selling digital download of any other Star Wars game in its first two weeks. The company also claims that the PC version has sold more copies than any of its other Star Wars titles released on PC — period.

While scoring mostly good to excellent reviews helped, there are a couple of takeaways from EA's announcement.

First, it seems that fans are more into the single-player Star Wars experience than the grindy, microtransaction-filled attempts EA has pushed out in the past. This should come as no big surprise. Gamers and governments practically across the board have denounced EA's tendency to over implement the pay-to-win strategy in its games.

Second, releasing Fallen Order on Steam has undoubtedly contributed to increased PC sales. The publisher had removed its games from Valve's storefront eight years ago due to a business dispute between Valve and Crysis 2 developer Crytek. Since then it has mainly been releasing titles on its Origin platform.

However, last month EA mended fences with Valve, formally announcing its return to Steam. In addition to selling games on Valve's marketplace again, the publisher is offering its subscription service EA Access on the platform as well.

With the latest Star Wars game already breaking records, it appears the combination of going to "where the gamers are" and moving away from the games-as-a-service model was a winning combination. We can only hope EA takes this to heart and releases future titles in this manner.

Permalink to story.

The game looks good,feels good and has a story .Steam and absence of microtransactions vastly improve on solid foundations .

It being on Steam I doubt had any affect on the game sales. It's a solid game was hyped for awhile. It's more STREAMERS made the game even popular than Steam ever could. EA had some BIG name streamers playing it.
Why would anyone even remotely get it on Steam when you can't even use Steam to play it, still requires Origin. If people are getting games on Steam that don't use it, just shows how clueless most gamers are.

No accounting for taste, maybe it's a good game. I will never know
After over 30 years of the type of nonsense that EA is notorious for they deserve nothing from anyone save scorn, however the game that Respawn have created here is so good it should have been called "Star wars: Jedi Knight 4, Fallen order". Yes it is that good!

It being on Steam I doubt had any affect on the game sales. It's a solid game was hyped for awhile. It's more STREAMERS made the game even popular than Steam ever could. EA had some BIG name streamers playing it.
Why would anyone even remotely get it on Steam when you can't even use Steam to play it, still requires Origin. If people are getting games on Steam that don't use it, just shows how clueless most gamers are.
I mean, I've never really sat down and watched a streamer play anything before. The only streamers I know the names of are because of memes or a friend has linked me a clip. I bought the game because it was Steam. Gotta support finally being given the choice to buy from Steam over Origin.

Pathetic. Doen't hold a candle to Dark Forces II or Jedi Knight II. The fact sub-quality like this is popular speaks volumes on current society.

Last edited:
I snagged my copy because it was on steam, thats my main library for tracking my games. I never watch streamers because I have my own money for games and enjoy making my own gaming decisions....although I have snagged some crummy games over time.

After over 30 years of the type of nonsense that EA is notorious for they deserve nothing from anyone save scorn, however the game that Respawn have created here is so good it should have been called "Star wars: Jedi Knight 4, Fallen order". Yes it is that good!
Just last night I played "Star Wars™ Episode I - Racer™" I still suck at it but it was a freebee and I like hi speed driving games

I mean, I've never really sat down and watched a streamer play anything before. The only streamers I know the names of are because of memes or a friend has linked me a clip. I bought the game because it was Steam. Gotta support finally being given the choice to buy from Steam over Origin.
You don't have a choice, you still have to use Origin, that has NOT changed. So you are still supporting EA/Origin. You just bought it through Steam which again means nothing. EA still wins.

The masses bought it cause of Streamers. They showed it off heavily. You may not watch streamers but tons of kids and other adults do. Twitch, YouTube and Mixer showed the game off. With 100s of thousands of players watching, all saying how good the game is.

I snagged my copy because it was on steam, thats my main library for tracking my games. I never watch streamers because I have my own money for games and enjoy making my own gaming decisions....although I have snagged some crummy games over time.
Good for you. You still have to use Origin which has it's own library. When you launch the game you launch Origin, you are just having more stuff in the background than is needed. Just use Origin, it's required anyways.

Back