'Star Wars: The Complete Saga' is the best selling Blu-ray set of all time

Shawn Knight

Staff member

‘Star Wars: The Complete Saga’ went on sale one week ago and has already earned the title of best selling catalog Blu-ray disc of all time according to Lucasfilm and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. The box set has sold one million units globally, resulting in more than $84 million in sales, $38 million of that coming from the US alone.

The nine disc set includes all six films of the Star Wars Saga (Episodes I-VI) each presented on a single disc and three additional discs of extras with more than 30 hours of bonus material and special features. Bonus material includes never-before-seen deleted and alternate scenes and a tour of the Star Wars archives.

"Once again our fan's enthusiasm to celebrate Stars Wars continues to amaze us," said Kayleen Walters, senior director of marketing for Lucasfilm. “Our goal was to deliver a premium product that they could enjoy with their family and friends and we are thrilled that they are enjoying it as much as we hoped they would."

Lucasfilm and Twentieth Century Fox have been promoting the release for over a year. Darth Vader and several Stormtroopers invaded Panasonic’s booth at CES in January to announce the September release date and preorder. And speaking of preorders, the $79.99 set also became the most preordered Blu-ray since the format’s launch in June 2006.

Despite record sales figures, the new box set isn’t putting a smile on everyone’s face as many Star Wars fans have voiced their opinion regarding multiple changes within the films, with some going so far as to cancel preorders and swearing off the series. As of writing, Amazon has 1,541 customer reviews of the box set with only a two star rating out of a possible five, or 40 percent.

Permalink to story.

I really want to get this - would really love for my kids to experience this like I did as a young boy. Just not sure why he would change something everyone already loved. Darth Vader saying nothing before grabbing the emperor had more impact than him voicing his internal struggle with it.

"Three additional discs of extras with more than 30 hours of bonus material and special features". Now with 830% more "NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Three average films from the 70's and 80's, bundled with three of the biggest steaming turds of film making of the 00's...

The fanbois were out in 'force' for this one... (pun intended).

:haha:

Holy smokes - there are 975 one-star ratings on Amazon. But in glancing through some of the comments, these people are off-the-charts Star Wars junkies who look at the movie collection as if it was some sort of a religion. I'm seeing "complaints" that range from "Darth Vader's lightsaber looks pink," to "Obi Wan's new Krayt Dragon call - Alec Guinness must be rolling in his grave."

And I thought Trekkies were nutz.... ;)

caravel said:
Three average films from the 70's and 80's, bundled with three of the biggest steaming turds of film making of the 00's...

The fanbois were out in 'force' for this one... (pun intended).

:haha:

Trollin' trollin' trollin', keep those comments trollin'

"Three additional discs of extras with more than 30 hours of bonus material and special features". Now with 830% more "NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Too bad they didn't use some of that space to include the original theatrical release of each episode. I have the Aliens collection on Blu-Ray and it includes both the original and directors cut. I'm a fan of the series but plan to wait to see if this will be released again with the orginal versions, it's not all that uncommon to see take two on many Blu-Ray movies.

I'm working my way through the films now & it's true that the first two prequels are utterly utterly UTTERLY awful.
I like the third one though, watching Anakin go wrong is too interesting for even Lucas to screw up.

I've just started A New Hope & have to say it looks gorgeous so far.

Mizzou said:

Too bad they didn't use some of that space to include the original theatrical release of each episode. I have the Aliens collection on Blu-Ray and it includes both the original and directors cut. I'm a fan of the series but plan to wait to see if this will be released again with the orginal versions, it's not all that uncommon to see take two on many Blu-Ray movies.

I'm not sure if the original versions will be released, they were pretty vocal in their advertising that "this is your last chance to own the original series" when it went on sale back in the day. If they did end up releasing it, they'd have a class action lawsuit on their hands. I think I popped down 80 bucks to buy that one, greatly based on their claim. Unless they were prescient enough to put an asterisk to clarify that claim did not include yet to be invented media formats.

I have the original 3 (episodes 4,5,6) on VHS that was enhanced from the movie released. I still have a CRT TV, no Blu-Ray and have the 3 best episodes, so I'll skip these. How many times are they going to repackage these? <I guess until people stop buying them>

Does the cantina scene from A New Hope have that awful musical number? If so I'll wait for the old versions to get released again.

I bring this news:

"Star Wars on IMAX and 3D", comming soon... summer of 2012

I wouldn't be bothered with them adding more stuff if they had an option to watch the "original". For example, Bridesmaids has the "theatrical" and "unedited" versions on the same disc. Can't they add all this new stuff but also give us an option to watch what blew audiences away originally? The effects they managed to create with the use of modern SFX is stunning and we shouldn't lose that.

Trollin' trollin' trollin', keep those comments trollin'
Im assuming this is intended to be sung to the tune of, "rollin', rollin', rollin', keep those dogies rolling", the old cowboy ditty(*). If that's the case, it does have a certain rustic charm....:rolleyes:

(*) Now that I think about it, I believe that song was the theme to "Rawhide", an ancient (60's ?), TV series.

Back