Stardock releases Start10, brings the Windows 7 Start menu to Windows 10

Scorpus

Staff member

Have you recently upgraded to Windows 10 but hate the new and 'improved' Start menu? Stardock, a company known for its Windows-skinning software, might just have the tool for you...

Start10 is the latest utility from Stardock that ditches the new Windows 10 Start menu in favor of a custom version that closely mimics the look and feel of the Windows 7. Live Tiles are completely removed from this Start menu alternative, and the large search bar previously found in the taskbar returns to a familiar, less space consuming position.

All the functionality that you're used to from Windows 7 can be added in to the Start10 Start menu, such as the folder-style hierarchy for applications, quick shortcuts to sections of Explorer like Documents and This PC, and familiar pinned apps.

Start10 can be customized to look exactly like the Windows 7 Start menu, or you can add in some Modern flare such as solid colors that match your Windows 10 highlight color. Advanced configuration options allows you to configure the Start menu's functionality to exactly how you like it.

If you're desperate to rid yourself of the Windows 10 Start menu and return to the good old days of Windows 7, Start10 is available now for $4.99.

Permalink to story.

Why would you buy something you can get for free? BEen using classic shell with windows 8.1 and after upgrading to 10 I immediately downloaded it again. Works great and wast customization options. Donated 3$. And it's open source so no spyware or keyloggers.

Yeah, Classic Shell does it for some time now, is free, too. What I'm really waiting for is a Windows Ultimate Tweaker or some other utility that will disable all the snooping and data transfer with single button, and recheck them at every bootup. If I wanted to download Win10 now it's like 20 hacks that You have to perform on a vanilla install, some of them revert to default. Try to remember them at every install, Your's or Your family, friends. And not everything can be disabled, cause M$ is pushing walled garden hard, tell You what You can do with Your PC. All it takes is somebody's mistake on M$ side, or another unrecognised vulnerability. Don't wanna end up like that poor soul Jennifer Lawrence, that got herself syncronised with all of internet, including my HDD. ;-D

Not worth the 5 bucks as far as I'm concerned. W10's start menu is very easy to get used to and I'm starting to prefer it to W7's.

On 1080p it took one third of my 55" screen. And most the things on it were commercials for programs I never wanted.

That is not a screen, it's a TV and therefor why it's scaled that way.

It's somewhat amusing to see how companies perpetuate users rejection to change. Awesome.

Yes, I like the W10 menu. Also, you can modify the size, tiles, quick list, color, etc. No reason not to use it unless you're just lazy and don't want to take 10 minutes to set it up.

Startisback is better in my honest opinion. Its about the same price for two pc's. I don't need it for Win 10 but I can understand why some might like it.

The start menu is fairly defunct these days as long as the search input works well as it does in windows 10.

Stick the stuff you use on the desktop and a quick search will find the rest, having live tiles on the start menu seems fairly pointless.

Win 10. The SPY OS. Classic shell good. I use it on Win 8...when I use Win 8.

Amazing how the guys that look and act like everyone else must use 10

It's somewhat amusing to see how companies perpetuate users rejection to change. Awesome.
It's just another way to scam people out of their money.

...you mean like slapping another skin on Windows 7 and Windows 8 and calling it Windows 10? Really. People who liked Windows 7 got a huge change thrown at them in the UI with both 8 and 10, and many simply didn't want to the changes being thrown at them. The ONLY reason to upgrade to either 8 or 10 for those folks is speed and better memory management. Otherwise, as many have pointed out in various forums, they don't see the point in changing from Windows 7.

If the efforts from MS weren't a scam, then why haven't they built in the functionality to simply change the menu back to what it was since Windows XP? People have been using these shell modifiers for years.

The start menu is fairly defunct these days as long as the search input works well as it does in windows 10.

Stick the stuff you use on the desktop and a quick search will find the rest, having live tiles on the start menu seems fairly pointless.

Tiles is pretty useless, anyway. I love using Windows 8, but hate the UI. Slapping Metro onto a start menu is, indeed, pointless. My desktop will never be a tablet or mobile phone and never should it be. I have no use for touch apps there. Tiles serve no purpose on a desktop. Even on a laptop with a touchscreen, it's pointless, because you...sure you can tap on that tile more easily to load Word, etc., but once you're in the app it's still basically the same non-touch friendly mess.

Not worth the 5 bucks as far as I'm concerned. W10's start menu is very easy to get used to and I'm starting to prefer it to W7's.

On 1080p it took one third of my 55" screen. And most the things on it were commercials for programs I never wanted.

Yes, because this menu isn't clearly taking up a good ~35% of the screen as it is, regardless of what resolution, or whether or not it's a TV or monitor. Some fanboys really need to get a life.

Yes, because this menu isn't clearly taking up a good ~35% of the screen as it is, regardless of what resolution, or whether or not it's a TV or monitor. Some fanboys really need to get a life.

Here's quite a few examples:

https://www.google.com/search?q=win...1y-A1N&biw=1280&bih=598#imgrc=o5hMyUKW0WZ9oM:

...and I would actually say about ~45% of the screen.

...you mean like slapping another skin on Windows 7 and Windows 8 and calling it Windows 10? Really. People who liked Windows 7 got a huge change thrown at them in the UI with both 8 and 10, and many simply didn't want to the changes being thrown at them. The ONLY reason to upgrade to either 8 or 10 for those folks is speed and better memory management. Otherwise, as many have pointed out in various forums, they don't see the point in changing from Windows 7.

If the efforts from MS weren't a scam, then why haven't they built in the functionality to simply change the menu back to what it was since Windows XP? People have been using these shell modifiers for years.
It's natural for people to resist change so why not make some money from them?

To all those "hurr durr tiles are stupid, Start Menu is too big" - do you realise, that you can unpin EVERY tile in the Start Menu and slim it down, so that only search, file explorer, all-apps and similar buttons remain there? It takes like a minute.

Too bad I really prefered full-screen Start Menu with all-apps list. It seems like it's impossible to use it in Win10.

Probably the only thing that can get me to care about Windows 10 is DX12. And I am not sure that will even do it.

Windows is no longer the Windows I once knew. Has anybody seen the latest $12 DVD Player software from Microsoft? Talk about being simplistic. Seriously? It's ridiculous.

No thanks. Windows 10 had to be compelling for me to embrace it. And it's not. It's just.....there. *sigh*

Gonna keep my Windows 7 Ultimate *with* Windows Media Center and not have to pay an extra thin dime to keep it. Along with the native DVD playback functionality.

Windows 10's business model is to nickel and dime everybody to death. That's why they removed WMC. Just one more reason to reject Windows 10. On top of the fact that the start menu sucks and most of the new UI is ugly as hell.

I do not understand the facination with everything on the desktop. I like mine clean. I have two things on it, and that's it. Everything else is in the start bar or pinned to the start-bar or task-bar. I like a clean desktop. I also do wish I had multiple desktop views like I do in Linux. Especially when windows is pushing away from windows and wanting to run everything full screen. (why?!?)

It is so blatantly obvious what MS is doing with Win 10 and why it's "free" for most people. Win 10 is really just Win 8.2, and the fact that they kept metro alive & well (when clearly almost no one liked it), shows how they are using it as ad space for a captive audience. The Win 8 'start screen' and the new Metro'ish start menu in Win 10 is a way for MS to pimp their products.

Win 10 is bad news folks, free or not. The privacy issues are alarming, and its sad to see so many apathetic people who don't care how badly their privacy is being abused. This is Orwellian futures start to develop.

Or just keep using Windows 7 and stop complaining? If I have no short term intention on using Windows 10 why bother complaining about it? The people who do like it will keep using it, those who don't like it simply don't have to. In no way has Microsoft forced the hand of the consumer, they're just trying to make it irresistible to the masses by making it a free upgrade. Fine, but I'm not biting, and for now I'll keep my reservations to myself, though I have made it clear that I'm not a fan of giant buttons and useless pre-loaded apps.

Dude... I mean... come on... I also had a TV as monitor and it was the same thing, although on a different OS, it has nothing to do with being a fanboy, it's a simple fact that resolution scalling between monitors and tvs are totally different.

...you mean like slapping another skin on Windows 7 and Windows 8 and calling it Windows 10? Really.

Might have been, even though it was given away FOR FREE to users who upgraded from any of the two mentioned OS so, to hell with that comment :).

Back