Starting next week you can watch Mulan without a Disney Plus membership

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
TL;DR: It appears that those without a Disney Plus membership who missed the live-action remake of Mulan are in luck. The movie has been spotted on several digital retailers. However, it is still $30 to purchase.

Disney shocked many when it announced that Mulan would only be available to Disney Plus subscribers for a one-time fee of $30. The company insisted that it was not a rental and that they would own the movie. However, they had to maintain their Disney Plus membership to have access to it.

This plan seems to have fallen apart as it has now been released to third-party outlets only a month after its debut. The move is somewhat surprising since it seemed like Disney planned to hold it in the vault for the long haul to drive Disney Plus subscriptions. Its relatively cold reception is likely to blame for the quick move to mainstream sales.

While Disney has not released any official numbers showing how the reboot faired, Forbes reported that China Box Office labeled the film as "One of Disney's worst-performing remakes." The studio surely found this disappointing since it had high hopes for Mulan in China.

It wasn't any better in the West. Investment community Seeking Alpha noted that early estimates indicated the movie would reach revenue levels on par with Avengers: Endgame. However, it says analysts likely misinterpreted the data when making their approximations.

"The data itself was accurate, though how many people interpreted it was not," said Seeking Alpha's Max Greve. "Initial 'box office equivalent' estimates failed to account for several qualifying factors, including mix shift, TVOD cannibalization, and marginal costs. Disney may have lost over $100 million [on the film]."

Even without numbers to reflect upon, it's clear to see Mulan did not do as well as Disney hoped. Like so many other B-rate movies, it's getting farmed out to other outlets, practically before it has left Disney's virtual theater.

Mulan is available to pre-order for $30. It is slated for release next Tuesday in SD, HD, and 4K HD from Amazon, Vudu, and FandangoNow. It will also be coming to all Disney Plus members without the $30 Premier Access fee on December 4, 2020.

Permalink to story.

I've already watched Mulan: Frostwire edition. as well as the 90's Cartoon film.

The Cartoon Film was better.

The new film was "meh" although I did appreciate Gong Li and Yi Fei Liu as eye candy.

Starting next week you can watch Mulan without a Disney Plus membership
Correction: You could have been doing it for quite some time now. Mulan 4K hit torrents about 3 weeks ago.

The title is wrong.

Starting next week you can watch Mulan WITH a Disney Plus membership WITHOUT paying extra.

Fixed it for you.

Yeah I got hold of it ages ago and it was crap, glad I didn't spend any money on it as it is rubbish compared to the original and rubbish in its own right.

Weel, the chaps thinking that Mulan would produce similar numbers as Avengers: Endgame must have been drunk (and I mean very, very drunk).

Haven't watched the movie yet, but not surprised by the cold reception. I feel a bit for Disney, as without C19 this would have been different, but even in the most optimistic environment, this would have been just another movie in the summer mix (not comparable in any way to a conclusion of a 12-year journey gradually built up by ~20 blockbusters).

So, all in all, a bit sorry for Disney (they dreamt big, it didn't work out), but very, very happy that their pricing strategy didn't work (hopefully this failure will be enough to prevent similar attempts in the future)

Weel, the chaps thinking that Mulan would produce similar numbers as Avengers: Endgame must have been drunk (and I mean very, very drunk).

Haven't watched the movie yet, but not surprised by the cold reception. I feel a bit for Disney, as without C19 this would have been different, but even in the most optimistic environment, this would have been just another movie in the summer mix (not comparable in any way to a conclusion of a 12-year journey gradually built up by ~20 blockbusters).

So, all in all, a bit sorry for Disney (they dreamt big, it didn't work out), but very, very happy that their pricing strategy didn't work (hopefully this failure will be enough to prevent similar attempts in the future)

I haven't seen a release timed this badly since Silent Scope released during the DC Sniper.

Imagine when you've been pandering here and there, across every possible intersections, including and utimately submitting to the C C P's interest despite all the controversial issues with the location of the movie was taken and how the lead actress openly support the anti democratical regime in that big apple city, but still having the movie FLUNK in the mainland itself. Doubly, triply, quadruply FAIL.

If it were normal time where all was still about business rather than sociopolitical narrative, someone in C level would have been fired immediately from this kind of failure.

>> " Disney may have lost over $100 million [on the film]."

Not that it would have taken much to seen this coming. BTW -- I rely upon TechSpot for hard-hitting news coverage of all the live-action cartoon remakes. Any word on upcoming Teletubbies or Thundercats releases?

How about something original Disney? Has Disney actually ever done anything original aside from Mickey Mouse?

Back