Static sound from onboard sound = dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I have recently bought a secon hand Asus m2n-e sli mo'bo, from a friend.
All was going well, everything was set up with drivers from origional discs.

While playing a game (lost plannet: Extreeme condidtion) my pc crashed and reset itself. Since then i have been unable to get any sound, when sound is played it just makes a static sound. The only slight bit of sound i can hear is when playing the speaker test program in C-media. I can hear the voice slightly under the static sound.

I have tryed:
>All ports.
>Rolling back drivers.
>Latest C-media drivers from Asus.
> Ac97 drivers.

>Sound card:I tryed to use a Creative Audigy Soundblaster (X-Fi XtremeGamer). After inserting into my mobo my computer failed to boot, or even reach bios.

If anyone could provide answers/solution to either of my problems I would be very greatfull.

Thanks Craig

Problem solved.

I decided to install windows on a new hard drive and install all drivers etc from scratch (just to be 100% sure The onboard sound was actualy broken). After install it came up with the crackle sound, once restarted tho it fine, all audio worked. So i put my origional hard drive back in and for some strange reason audio wokred again.....
Its a mystery to me as i never touched the origional hard drive and it just started working.
O well, thanks for your help anyway.

Yes I can see that working. It was a faulty partition.
Now I know a partition has nothing to do with format or drivers, but I have seen faulty partitions do numerous things, including not installing Windows in the first place, or having a few few extra restarts during Windows install

A "clean" Windows install, means remove the partition first.
I have written about it here (in the lower half of the post): https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic123957.html

Anyway, thanks for the update :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back