Motherboard on board sound just doesn't sound right

Windows 10 i7 4770k 16GB DDR3 Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming motherboard Nvidia 780 GTX

Symptoms:

The on board sound from my motherboard just doesn't sound right. The sound is kind of "tinny" or "sharp" and there is a bit of static at higher volumes, some echoes as well. I'm using Audio Technica ath-m50x headphones plugged into the headphone jack of my tower desktop.

Example: Playing Mass Effect 1; scrolling through the main menu options produces a "tick" sound. This sound is so loud and sharp it is almost like nails on a chalk board. Sound in general just doesn't sound very clean, almost very treble like.

Playing any game: When the sound increases suddenly in volume a hint of static can be heard, does not sound right.

I built this PC back in 2013. Since then, I have been using Bose Companion 2 Series III Multimedia Speakers and do not recall any audio distortions when plugging my headphones into the 3.5mm jack. I took a break of several months away from PC gaming and came back to find my speakers no longer working. To remedy this, I plugged my headphones into the green audio jack of my PC tower only to discover the symptoms listed above. This was not the first time my Bose speakers went bad and I cannot recall the on board sound distortions occurring in the past when I've used it. Over 15 years of PC gaming intuition tells me that this audio just doesn't sound right.

Troubleshooting steps taken:

Here is the specs on the motherboard I have: https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/Z87-G45-GAMING.html#hero-specification

I've tried updating drivers, uninstalling the Realtek software, just not sure if I'm doing everything correctly. I'll include screenshots of my device manager and sound setup.

Device Manager: http://m.imgur.com/a/9Akbx

Thanks for help anyone can give. Not sure if I need a dedicated sound card or if my headphones hooked up to speakers would help out.

My money would be on corrosion with a side bet on a failing solder joint. I use crocus paper to clean contacts - but there is microfine sandpaper (1500 grit) which works on heavier deposits. A failed solder joint takes a lot of careful looking to locate. I use strong light and magnifier and re-solder anything suspect.

My money would be on corrosion with a side bet on a failing solder joint. I use crocus paper to clean contacts - but there is microfine sandpaper (1500 grit) which works on heavier deposits. A failed solder joint takes a lot of careful looking to locate. I use strong light and magnifier and re-solder anything suspect.

Not sure if I have the skill set or experience to locate and do this? Would you suggest I just buy a 3rd party sound card instead?

Before you drop money into it, you could try unplugging and reconnecting all connections (including the ones inside the case and leading up to the external female connection). Gold flashed connectors help prevent this, but the connections inside the case are usually tinned copper and copper. By moving the connections, you may clear any corrosion.

Back