Steadicam unveils a handheld camera stabilizer for your smartphone

Jos

Staff

Hand held and body mounted camera stabilizers revolutionized the film industry years ago with the ability to isolate the operator's movement, allowing for a smooth shot, even when the camera moves over an irregular surface. Now, as cameras in smartphones continue to get better the technology is making its way into this segment, the latest such effort comes by way of a Kickstarter campaign for the Steadicam Volt.

Built in association with drone-maker Yuneec, the handheld device uses Steadicam's mechanical gimbal in combination with an electronic motor system to steady tracking shots. The result is superior tracking without the lag of alternatives like the DJI Osmo, according to Steadicam’s parent company Tiffen. Steadicam inventor and Garrett Brown calls it an “electronically gyro-augmented Steadicam for smartphones that just weighs one pound, with the inertia an feel of a 40 pound rig."

The Volt can accept smartphones weighing 100 to 200 grams (3.5 to 7 ounces), from 58 to 80 mm (2.2 to 3.2 inches) wide, and works with an iOS or Android app that helps you balance and tune it. Its lithium-ion batteries last eight hours on a single charge, though you can it in a reduced way with no power.

High end smartphones already include some type of image hardware or software based stabilization. However, for fast paced handheld shots you often need more support. The Steadicam Volt Kickstarter campaign has received $212,685 as of this writing, way past its $100,000 goal. It’s available for an early-bird price of $139 — $60 off the planned $199 retail price — and should begin shipping in June.

Permalink to story.

Yeah, it's also very good for shooting videos and taking selfies if you happen to be suffering from the DT's at that time.

The biggest issue with using phone stabilizers is that pulsing you get when the phone is moving too fast or the lighting changes. You can see it in the video at 0:24. I had the same issue with the DJI Osmo mobile. Kinda defeats the point of using it.

While I could have used one for a recent video, the point of shooting on a phone is that you always have it with you. The moment you start carrying something not pocketable you might as well use a good camera instead of a phone.

Considering the way I see half of these folks walking while chatting, I think they should make a version to strap on the operators too!

Anything that teaches people how to hold a phone the right way up whilst shooting video can only be a good thing...

Camera shake isn't the problem. It's the operator that uses his phone to get a shot of something he wants to sell on ebay. He drags the item out into the sun or near to a bright light and then takes a photo of the side that is totally hidden by shadow. If you don't believe me check it out.

Back