Steam and others kick off holiday PC games sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Just ahead of the Black Friday shopping extravaganza, Valve's digital distribution service, Steam, is coming through with a massive "Early Holiday Sale" event that will let you expand your PC games library on the cheap. The company will be offering big discounts on a different set of games every day for the next five days, as well as special prices on various publisher packs.

Today's sale features deals on seven titles, with price cuts ranging from 25 to 80 percent, including Batman: Arkham Asylum for $24.99, Far Cry 2 Fortune's Edition for $9.99 and Dragon Age: Origins for $37.49. You can also pick up either the LucasArts Premier Pack or the THQ Complete Pack for $49.99. This offer will run until Friday at 8 AM PST, at which point a new set of deals will become available, so definitely keep an eye out for more.

Before pulling out your wallet, though, be sure to check out some of the deals being offered by the competition. Direct2Drive's "All Killer, No Filler" sale, for example, takes 50 percent off the prices of Crysis Maximum Edition and Resident Evil 5. Over at Impulse they have put over 40 games in their download library on sale. Meanwhile, EA’s own store will be selling every single downloadable PC game with a 30 percent discount until Monday, which includes The Sims 3 for $34.96 or FIFA Soccer 10 for $27.96.

If you have had your eye on some of the holiday season's most anticipated games, now is the time to buy.

Permalink to story.

I usually buy games at game.co.uk and it it offered a lot of "holiday discounts" a week before the release of modern warfare 2. But wow 9.99$ for Far Cry 2 Fortune's Edition? I'm definitely switching to steam now.

Those are some awesome sales. Neither of the games I want or on list though. Steam is amazing, but I've bought so many games on sale now. My List is quickly expanding from weekend deals.

AS great as Steam is and other digital download providers, why cant they just send you a copy in the post as well as the digital download? how much is a dvd? 1 euro? how much does it cost to send a dvd? 1 euro? so for an extra 2 euros you have your physical copy, 2 euros wouldnt even buy you a drink.

Too bad I already own over half of these games and packs through steam, and I payed more when I got them.

As fada pointed above digital providers wont sent you a copy of your game. So you will have to have a fast internet connection, otherwise it will take ..ages to play that you bought :S

I already got myself the THQ pack! it's a steal with games like dawn of war! this is the reason why I like christmas so much :)

fada said:
AS great as Steam is and other digital download providers, why cant they just send you a copy in the post as well as the digital download? how much is a dvd? 1 euro? how much does it cost to send a dvd? 1 euro? so for an extra 2 euros you have your physical copy, 2 euros wouldnt even buy you a drink.
that would be quite nice, ubuntu is nice enough to give us a free phyiscal disc of they're free OS, why can't steam do it, plus we are playing for it. Thats the least they could do, imagine if software companies didn't do this, you never know might happen.

Afenix, I used to buy from game.co.uk until I found that Sendit is often cheaper, and then I discovered that Sendit is a storefront for thehut.co.uk. They have some pretty good deals. For example Fortune's Edition is £14.73 at TheHut and £17.99 at game.co.uk. Of course the Steam deal is the way to go. :)

Well, the cost of a DVD for the game will be more, as they need to stock them, they need people mail them (pack them, put the address on, go the the post). I agree that they could charge a small extra charge for this, but apparently most people are pretty happy having their downloads, which I admit is more comfortable than physical media. Only pity is that in many cases the game on Steam costs more than a physical game box at a store, unless you buy in one of their (admittedly frequent) deals.

One reason is that for international buyers, like myself, it would be really expensive for steam to send a physical disk, and It would also be unfair that to send phisical copies only to US Residents. I think that might be one of many reasons...

Nothing really interests me right now, Imma wait till the timer goes out for the new batch of games. Hopefully TF2 or something pretty for my future GTX260. =)

That's the best marketing move Steam could have done. It's one of the best ways to get used by more people

Far Cry 2 seams to have a really good deal. I'm still debating over buying it or not since i already bought a few games this month.

After checking the prices on steam, for me Far Cry 2 is 14.99€ (~22.5$). So i'm just going to buy GRID which is only 4.99€. Why aren't the prices the same worldwide or at least similar(+-10-15% max)? It's just stupid.

For any body looking for some of the best under rated HnS in the market the

THQ complete pack form steam is pretty sweet for the price of the two Titan quest games you get a bunch of other stuff for free.

Nothing I want, this time around. Unless I see something super cheap, I probably wont' buy either. I purchased Longest Journey + Dreamfall way back, and still haven't played them. Beware impulse buying =P

Quite good prices there indeed, but nothing I really want and dont have yet. Hope there will be other as good deals in following days!

I already have more games than I can play, but very tempting prices on these. I feel like Imelda Marcos who can't have enough shoes.......... :(

The lucas arts pack and crysis max edition look like great deals also to note batman is a very fun game and worth every penny that they are offering it for.

Some nice holydays offers, this are the sort of things that makes steam go above all other online distribution companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back