TechSpot giveaway: Win a DJI Spark drone & a Star Wars BB-8 droid

Steam now has more monthly active players than Xbox Live

By Shawn Knight ยท 45 replies
Aug 4, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. Those still clinging to the narrative that PC gaming is dead should seriously consider reevaluating their stance. Valve at the Casual Connect USA conference in Seattle this week revealed that Steam, its digital distribution platform for computer users, currently enjoys 67 million monthly active players.

For comparison, Microsoft said last month that it had 53 million active Xbox Live users in the most recent quarter.

Drilling a bit deeper, Valve shared that it now has 33 million daily active players with a peak concurrent user count of 14 million (the peak in 2015, by comparison, was just 8.4 million). What’s more, since January 2016, Steam has had 27 million new purchasers which works out to nearly 1.5 million transactions per month.

Valve owes much of its continued success to international growth.

According to GeekWire, Asia just a few years ago represented only a few percentage points as it relates to Steam’s worldwide sales. That figure has since climbed to 17 percent which, according to Valve’s Tom Giardino, is a direct result of efforts to localize stores and accept additional payment methods.

The diversity of content available on Steam is another contributing factor. In fact, Giardino said he views Steam’s robust library as one of the platform’s biggest assets.

Valve is set to host its annual Dota 2 tournament next week in Seattle with a record-setting prize pool of more than $23.5 million.

Permalink to story.

2. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 3,086   +1,772

There will eventually come a day when the desktop computer goes away, but considering the number of old folks that grew up with the desk top, it's going to be around for a few more decades and since these retiree's are the one with the greatest amount of expendable income, the software and hardware folks would be wise to pay attention if they want to rake in the most bucks ......

SantistaUSA likes this.
  3. yRaz

yRaz Nigerian Prince Posts: 2,216   +1,292

as long as there will be geeks there will be people building PC's. Building a PC is like a right of passage for any aspiring techie. I know some who will swear by their console, but it seems to me that any tech enthusiast will always want a PC. With the world becoming more and more mobile, I know people who have a mid range laptop and game a medium to low settings simply because they don't own a TV or spend enough time in one place to justify buying a console.

4. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,979   +640

But EVERY single one of us have grown up with the PC....

5. USAvenger

USAvenger TS Booster Posts: 75   +74

"Steam now has more monthly active players than Xbox Live" reads the headline... and yet we are still the red-headed stepchildren of the gaming industry. Some games never even make it to PC and then others are such hot, steaming piles of garbage on release that they aren't worth the time that it takes to install them - much less the money that we paid. Is it lazy developers? Is it overzealous publishers rushing the work of the devs? I get that there are so many different variables with PCs that aren't present for the consoles (numerous different hardware configurations being one) but if you've seen one title on PC that was released with minimal bugs (zero game-breaking) then you know that it's possible for other devs to do it right from day one.

/rant.

6. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 1,219   +697

What impresses me is that Xbox has this big of an active player base. I always though consoles are nowhere near Steam but they're not very far away.

There are games like Dota, LoL and CSGO that I can't see being played anywhere else except on a PC. I can't think of anything that can replace mouse and keyboard so that those games can move away from PC. As long as those games are alive PC gaming will be alive and well.

7. Rasta211

Rasta211 TS Booster Posts: 214   +32

Should call us beta testers with all these Early Access games.

8. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,931   +1,260

Im a pretty heavy xbox one user.

The xbox one had a terrible first year or two - the platform was pretty broken.

Phil spencer came along and fixed alot of things, but the platform is still medicre at best.

Exclusives are far and few (it hurts to watch what PS players get), the dashboard is a NIGHTMARE from most standpoints - its uglier than heck and counterintuitive, even after the several iterations of improvements.

Theres 100000 logisitcal annoyances. You have to be connected to internet to download a bluray player because its not preinstalled - same with CD player, etc. They last year added support for playing music in the backgrounds of your games, but software support for that is terrible. There is no spotify app currently (but rumors are we might finally get it). The store is miserable to navigate, and digitally purchasing backwards compatible 360 games feels like it was hacked in. For sales, game DLCs and currencies get their own listings, so you have to navigate through a sea of 400 different "character packs" or "XXXX points" to find games.

I guess the best way to put it is that the entire platform feels so unpolished. If it werent for my friends I'd have abandoned it already. Im not surprised steam is passing it - I feel like alot of the appeal of console over PC is gone if the simplicity and reliability goes away.

9. Tc2017

Tc2017 TS Rookie

If they are going to compare pc to consoles then you must add the Playstation into that which totally blows out the pc numbers when added to the xbox numbers. So that logic is 100% flawed.

10. Tc2017

Tc2017 TS Rookie

Funny because I am totally happy with my xbox as most people are. I used to be a pc fanboy but not after buying my xbox one. It has so many advantages over the pc.

adisoftcafe likes this.
  11. Tc2017

Tc2017 TS Rookie

One other point, most of the games on Steam are pure crap. This is fact.

adisoftcafe likes this.
  12. Dandizzle

Dandizzle TS Rookie

What? why? No where at all in the article does it mention Playstation 4, or consoles plural. It's simply stating the differences in steam user base to xbox one user base. That's it. The article isn't flawed as it clearly gives the information relating to the title, it's not saying anything else otherwise.

And if we were going to count numbers for a different console, we should really add the Origin, battle.net, GOG, Uplay, and Mac and linux gamers to the pile also of PC active gamer user data base as well.

Latest reports from Playstation only state they have 70 million active users, (https://www.vg247.com/2017/05/23/ps...ly-active-users-ps-plus-subs-over-26-million/) so steam is catching up, fast. And will probably soon over take both single Xbox one and Playstation active player bases, as trends suggest they will.

Reading your other comments, Name the advantages of an xbox has over a pc, seriously, I really want to know. Here's an extensive list of reasons PC is favorable to console: (https://pcmasterrace.org/guide).

And seen as 'Most' of the games on steam are crap (you state this as fact) I'll take that as you having played them all then?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    USAvenger, Reehahs and wrathofthenova like this.
  13. adisoftcafe

adisoftcafe TS Enthusiast Posts: 39   +18

Steam is full of low level games.

14. wrathofthenova

wrathofthenova TS Rookie

Please....name one advantage Xbox one has over PC. Xbox exclusive are on PC with better graphics and performance due to Play Anywhere. The previous post was correct about the Xbones interface being a joke. There is a reason the console has sold less than half the units PS4 has and if you think the one X will change that you are diluted. No console in history has hit the big time at $499.

15. wrathofthenova

wrathofthenova TS Rookie

These guys posting with their Fisherprice my first game console xbox one are seriously desperate to justify owning that pile. Listen you had to know when you bought the thing you were settling for a "good enough" experience not the best. So because you accepted that it is not the best at point of purchase why are you online trying to convince others it is the best. PC unequivocally wins hands down...period...no argument.

Xtreme gamer likes this.
  16. Jeff Schmidt

Jeff Schmidt TS Enthusiast Posts: 55   +19

The fanboyism of PC vs Console (xbox, ps4) has gotten so old. In the last few years there has been a massive growth on PC for games. A lot of this comes from the consoles (since they are basically lower end pc's). Because the developers can now port games from pc to console or vice versa with little effort. Which leads to more money made for the developers/publishers. This leads to more games.

Most people just want to buy a game and be able to just play it. Yes, the PC you can pretty much do that now but the entry point is a lot more difficult (learn to build the pc) and more expensive. When you can just go buy a xbox or ps4 for a couple hundred bucks. For a couple hundred bucks your getting a terrible laptop or a little better desktop. Most cheap laptops have really crummy/low end apu's so pc gaming looks pretty meh at best. And the cheaper desktops aren't much better. Plus people then need to have a desk or somewhere to put that desktop, monitor, keyboard, mouse.

So people complaining about consoles or PC's is pretty counter intuitive. You want both to succeed so more/better games come out. There is more competition so more innovation happens. Different genres get made and more companies are willing to take risks on new ip's.

17. adisoftcafe

I've played on pc for the last 22 years. The Starcraft 2 online player list is almost empty. Everybody is on LOL, Heroes of the Storm, DOTA, Overwatch and CS. So I switced to Xbox One. A lot more people play AAA games on consoles: Destiny, BF1, Call of Duty, Forza, Gears of War, Halo, Titanfall 2, Fifa, etc...

Pc Gaming is not dead, but if you want to play new games with someone without waiting 1/2 hour, you must go with Xbox One / PS4

18. qqqqq

qqqqq TS Rookie

Wow, that couldn't be more wrong. PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS queues instantly and dumps you into a game with 98 other people. How many crappy console games do 99-person lobbies? Overwatch also queues instantly.

If you want the absolute best gaming experience, you play on PC. It's always been that way, and it always will. Nothing beats playing on a giant 4K screen or a 1440p display at 144hz and enjoying the keyboard and mouse precision. PC gamers constantly get shafted by developers that cripple their games to get them onto low-spec'd consoles, and it's easily the worst part about playing AAA games on PC. Crappy developers and console-first publishers are the reason the Indie market has exploded over the past few years.

Hey, console kids: Let's go play some GTA V with a bunch of mods! Oh, wait.

USAvenger likes this.
  19. adisoftcafe

Yes. 2k, 120 fps. No one to play with... PUBG is an exception.

20. Evernessince

Evernessince TS Evangelist Posts: 1,861   +1,064

WTF is this guy talking about? Starcraft 2 still has plenty of players. Taking one game and saying it represents the whole platform is also dumb.

21. qqqqq

qqqqq TS Rookie

PUBG is far from an exception. Here are the stats for the top 5 games in the past 48 hours on Steam:

Dota 2 - 782,808 players
    PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS - 523,436 players
    Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - 533,547 players
    H1Z1: King of the Kill - 141,786 players
    Grand Theft Auto V - 72,904 players

PC gamers are used to playing games that have tens of thousand of concurrent players and zero queue times. It's unusual to have long pre-game wait times, unless you're playing on a dead server, a dead game, or your MMR is sky high.

What a dumb thing to say. The article is comparing ONE MONTH of Steam activity to an ENTIRE QUARTER of Xbox Live activity, and it's only using Steam data. Besides Steam, PC gamers also have access to uPlay, Origin, GOG, Battle.net, etc.

Man, it must suck to be a console gamer and only have access to one service per platform.

Reehahs likes this.
  22. adisoftcafe

Ok. Pc is the best! Consoles are stupid! Have fun!

23. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 9,303   +3,356

The only advantage I can see in a console is simplicity, which never has peeked my interest.

24. Versutus

Versutus TS Enthusiast Posts: 34   +14

Same sh1t all over again... PC gamers think PC is the ultimate gaming platform, and anybody who's playing on console is stupid... There is nothing new here.

SantistaUSA and adisoftcafe like this.
  25. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 2,528   +983

and there is something wrong with that? it is objectively the best gaming platform. all I can see consoles gamers yelling recently is "fake 4K hurr durr" and "30 fps is good enough"