Steam sets new concurrent user record for the third time in as many weeks

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Comfort games: Gamers are flocking to tried and true staples during these uncertain times. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, a game originally launched in 2012, is by far the most popular title on the platform with more than a million players as of writing. Dota 2, which dropped in mid-2013, ranks second with nearly 750,000 concurrent players followed by PUBG with around 560,000 active gamers. Grand Theft Auto V and Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege round out the top five.

Valve’s Steam platform for the third time in as many weekends has set a new concurrent user record as social distancing measures due to Covid-19 force additional people to stay indoors and find alternative ways to entertain themselves.

As of this writing, Steam has 23,392,298 users on its platform. Before the Coronavirus-induced rally, the most users that Steam ever had logged in at once was 18.8 million on February 2, just before the Super Bowl.

That changed two weekends ago when 20,313,476 concurrent users hit the system on March 15. A week later, the record was broken again when more than 22 million players were on Steam at the same time.

Some are no doubt wondering where the ceiling is for concurrent Steam users. That’s a tough question to answer and one that’ll depend almost entirely on how the situation around Covid-19 continues to play out. Confirmed cases in the US continue to climb according to data from the CDC, suggesting we are further from a resolution than we are the start of it. In all likelihood, additional social distancing restrictions are expected.

If I had to guess, Steam will continue to set new concurrent user records in the coming weeks.

Masthead credit: Gorodenkoff

Permalink to story.

Is it really a record if you force everyone to stay home???

That’s like claiming a record for most rolls of toilet paper sold in one month...

It also doesn't seem like much of a record when this "concurrent" user count also counts users who simply have Steam open on their desktops not doing anything... Such as myself.

Now active, in-game, concurrent users with a count of 22/23 million would be fairly impressive.

I’ve managed to avoid steam mostly since the lockdown. Most of the games I play are on uplay, epic games store, Xbox live app etc. And do you know what, I prefer every single one of those launchers to steam - which currently for me at least is a buggy mess.

I’ve managed to avoid steam mostly since the lockdown. Most of the games I play are on uplay, epic games store, Xbox live app etc. And do you know what, I prefer every single one of those launchers to steam - which currently for me at least is a buggy mess.
How the heck you found steam bugs? I cant recall a single one

I downloaded EPIX so that I can play Predator hunting grounds and for whatever reason I couldn’t even get the game to start.

You're a gem. People here usually dump on every launcher except Steam. Just thinking about Xbox Live app makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

A lot of people I know that used to play CSS and CSGO regularly all have families and busy life's now, so perhaps the spike in CSGO is people like them staying at home and playing CSGO for the first time in months or years.

Now active, in-game, concurrent users with a count of 22/23 million would be fairly impressive.

How is the number of users impressive? It's sweet bugger all compared to the number of people on earth of approx 7.8 billion people.

That's a whole 0.0029% of the population playing on steam. How is that impressive?

You're a gem. People here usually dump on every launcher except Steam. Just thinking about Xbox Live app makes me throw up in my mouth a little.
Yeah the Xbox live app is a joke. But the Xbox game pass For £3.99 a month is incredible value and the games do work. As for steam, it’s garbage, the sales are garbage the store is stagnating and the app feels like it was made 10 years ago. I do still use it every now and then, it does work but it feels like it’s been neglected when compared to other game stores.

How is the number of users impressive? It's sweet bugger all compared to the number of people on earth of approx 7.8 billion people.

That's a whole 0.0029% of the population playing on steam. How is that impressive?

That's because the denominator for gaming platform statistics is never the population of the earth; it's the population of prior numbers of that platform, compared to the population of competitors and historical trends.

Yeah the Xbox live app is a joke. But the Xbox game pass For £3.99 a month is incredible value and the games do work. As for steam, it’s garbage, the sales are garbage the store is stagnating and the app feels like it was made 10 years ago. I do still use it every now and then, it does work but it feels like it’s been neglected when compared to other game stores.
Xbox game pass is really good except the fact that it's not supported in my country. :(

Back