SteamBoy is set to be the first mobile Steam gaming console

Justin Kahn

TS Addict
With Steam gaming consoles expected to make a strong push for time share in the living room and Valve's current dominance over the mouse and keyboard realm, a new announcement from E3 looks like Steam could be going mobile as...

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/57118-steamboy-is-set-to-be-the-first-mobile-steam-gaming-console.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

penn919

TS Maniac
32GB bult-in memory...does this company know that Steam is a digital-only platform? You aren't going to fit many games on this thing at all. If this is truly expected to be a gaming handheld, then it would have to have 128GB built-in storage minimum.

cliffordcooley

TS Redneck
32GB bult-in memory...does this company know that Steam is a digital-only platform?
I think you are looking for a different term. Games have always been digital. We are not talking about audio CD's here. Don't get the use of optical media confused with analog audio disk.

Reactions: Jad Chaar

yukka

TechSpot Paladin
With 4GB of Ram it isn't going to be a monster. If its just for streaming then thats fine but streaming works well in the home, not across the internet. If its got the hardware to play Windows games independently then its going to cost a bomb or do it badly.

ikesmasher

TS Evangelist
With 4GB of Ram it isn't going to be a monster. If its just for streaming then thats fine but streaming works well in the home, not across the internet. If its got the hardware to play Windows games independently then its going to cost a bomb or do it badly.
im running 4GB of DDR2 and I can play most of the games in my steam library just fine.

yukka

TechSpot Paladin
im running 4GB of DDR2 and I can play most of the games in my steam library just fine.
Yes most will play with 4GB with a decent processor. Will this have a decent processor in a handheld. My point is that this will have limited use as the CPU to play windows games will require a powerful battery to work on the go and a CPU that will take the price to high. Currently this looks like a gimmick. Good to play in bed or on the sofa when streaming but not "on the go" as the article suggests.

Jad Chaar

Elite Techno Geek
Memory management is supposedly more efficient on Linux than on Windows, so that could be a factor.

DarkTrazz

TS Rookie
If they were to put in the latest intel atom platform that could be very interesting to see, it being comparable to a celeron and even a mid end haswell i3. the issue would be a gpu though.

cliffordcooley

TS Redneck
I'm surprised more people aren't taking issue with it's name. There have been some pretty bad game system names, but this one probably takes the cake for least creative.
One thing that would make it worse is the use of the following emblem as a marketing icon.

GeforcerFX

TS Evangelist
Somehow I see the library being mainly the indie titles on steam, making the system really not much better then the Vita ( I own one) because the most common thing released to the vita are indie games.

tfreakburg

TS Rookie
If they make it work with Onlive's Steam-Cloud streaming service, you've got some pretty sweet options for home and on the go...