STOP: 0x0000008E

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlucardsFate

I've been wracking my brain trying to figure this out. I've googled the error, tested my RAM run a billion Virus and Malware scans...I'm still unable to figure out what is causing it.

I'm getting a blue screen and

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xAD6259D9, 0xAA40212C, 0x00000000)

It seems to occur most frequently when I try to sign into Windows Live Messenger. But It has occurred at other times.

I am on Windows XP Home SP3

If it's a hardware issue...I'll list that stuff below

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
GPU: Visiontek ATI Radeon X1950 Pro XGE
PSU: Antec TruePower Trio 550
RAM: 1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800MHZ "CM2X1024-6400" (I had 2 GB but one stick went south on me a few months back)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 160 GB SATA Internal Hard Drive

Any help would be appriciated! Thanks!

0x8E errors arer almost always caused by hardware issues and are especially a strong indication of corrupted memory. Sometimes they can be caused by drivers.

How long did you run memtest on this one stick of RAM? What make is your motherboard?

Whoops...

Sorry forgot to include the MOBO information.

It's an ASUS M2R32-MVP.

I tested the memory just once...but I was thinking of doing it again. Cause the other stick that came in the kit died a few months back as I mentioned.

Yes, run memtest on that stick again. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. I aould also recommend upgrading to 2 gigs.

I'll be sure to do that when I get the time...(Probably later tonight...I need to use it for something right now)

But if that isn't the issue what else do you think it could be?

Okay, a few questions and depending on your answers will determine our next step:

1. Asus motherboards are quite well noted for being very picky about the RAM used per motherboard model. Is the RAM you have installed recommended by Asus? You should be able to to find this out on their website for your model.

2. Prior to your other stick of memory that "went south" were you getting any BSODs?

Okay, a few questions and depending on your answers will determine our next step:

1. Asus motherboards are quite well noted for being very picky about the RAM used per motherboard model. Is the RAM you have installed recommended by Asus? You should be able to to find this out on their website for your model.

2. Prior to your other stick of memory that "went south" were you getting any BSODs?

3. Have you tried putting your stick of memry in another slot to see if you get BSODs?

3. Have you tried putting your stick of memory in another slot to see if you get BSODs?

1.) I didn't check to see if it was recommended or not when I bought the RAM. It was some good Corsair memory for a steal of a price...the only things I checked, was the memory's compatibility (In terms of just numbers) and User reviews...I can't find any RAM reccomendations on ASUS.com for it...

2.) Nope. But that one that died was part of a kit that the current remaining one was in. But that one died sometime last year....

3.) That was one of the first things I tried...I moved the remaining stick to another slot, and had the same result.

Okay, then let's look at your minidumps. Just in case...

How to find your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach your five most recent to your next post. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually. :)

All errors are 0x8E and all errors point to the McAfee Personal Plus firewall driver Mpfp.sys. See if you can update. I take it you are running the McAfee security suite?

Why yes I am....

I used to run Trend Micro but McAffe was free...go figure...Free doesn't mean better...

I don't see anywhere to update that specifically...

Should I just try and reinstall McAffe?

(Or maybe get a different Firewall?)

There are a lot better offerings out there and believe it or not they are some free and very, very good.

Personally I am an advocate of the layered method as opposed to the suite method for security. On my main rig I run the $ versions of NOD32 (antivirus), Online Armor (firewall), and SuperantiSpyware (malware/spyware; refered to from here on out as SAS).

Here are some solid, highly reputable suggestions:

Antivirus $ = Kaspersky, Nod32, Avira, Avast

Free = Avira and Avast 4.8; seriously, these are excellent free offerings and they update daily. I run Avast free version on two laptops and my second rig + free SAS. Many people swear by Avira.

Firewall - COMODO is free but you'll have to do some tweaking; Online Armor also has a free version and it has HIPS as well.

Antispyware - SAS that has both $ and free versions. Be aware that with free SAS you must manually update. Another one you might want to serioulsy consider is Malwarebytes. I think the first 30 days are free and then you haveto pay but I know many that love it.

* I seriously would consider uninstalling McAfee and try the above combinations. You'll also find you'll be using less system resources and each and everyone has very good active and supportive forums. In addition all provide real time protection.

Of course I've always had more then one solution...

I typically have a security suite...(which until recently was Trend Micro)

But I typically always have Ad-Aware Free

But I have recently discovered Malwarebytes Anti Malware which updates every day it seems...

But I really only have McAffe cause it was free..and it has a firewall. But let's uninstall it and see where it gets me...

Please help me to install xp on Compaq presario CQ40-317

hey,
I bought Presario CQ40-317TU laptop with T3400 dual core 2.ghz speed with Free Dos.
My problem is that I cannot install Xp operating system everytime I try in a blue screen pops up and system is halted please help me out how to install xp on this system I could install Vista easily but Iwant Xp on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back