Stop:0x0000008E

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomanV

Hello everyone,

I have had a computer crash every night in the past week. I have ran several virus scanners, and have reloaded the computer. However, after I reloaded it I pasted the user profile back into the Documents and Settings folder. When I copied the profile Trend Micro quarantined a file called A6A.tmp. I canceled the copy, deleted all files in the Temp folder and copied the profile in an external HDD. After I reloaded the computer, I pasted the profile, did all MS updates and it worked fine for 2 days then crashed. I then followed some steps to get rid of malware that attaches itself to update KB977165.

Thinking it could be the virus in the profile I copied. This seemed to work for about a day. The latest BSOD I have received is:

Stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x805BEAEF, 0xB9B04AD8, 0x00000000)

I have checked my RAM and made sure all hardware is correctly in place. I have tried opening up my minidump file, but can't figure it out. I have just downloaded the Windows Driver Kit, hopefully I'll be bale to figure something out.

Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks.

0x8E errors are almost always caused by hardware and are a good indicator of corrupted memory. There is also the strong possibility you could still be infected. With what you gave info wise please attach your latest minidumps.

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Here are the only two minidump files that were in the folder. I really appreciate your help.

Attachments

• Mini041610-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 3
  • Mini041910-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 1
One error is 0x8E and the other is 0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software.

Both errors only cite Windows drivers and these are usually too general to be of much help. So in light of your error codes do the following...

1. I suggest running ChkDsk as a first step.

2. Next run harddrive diagnostics. Find the manufacture of your harddrive, go their website and download their free HD diagnostic utility. Do both short and long tests.

3. If nothing is found wrong then run Memtest on your memory.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

Thanks. I have done the HDD diagnostics tests and both the short and long tests passed. I am running MemTest as we speak and will post the results when it is complete.

I have finished the memtest and all sticks have passed the minimum of 7 passes. I'm thinking about reloading the computer again without copying the, possibly, infected profile. Do you have any other ideas before I do so?

Yes, go to our Virus and Malware removal forum and read the Updated 8 Step sticky and follow the advice in the order given. When finished post on that forum with the three required logs. You'll get some excellent help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back