Stop error 0x0000008e

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hic

hello people....i am new here

can someone please tell me what this Stop error means

STOP 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0x8054b10d, 0xadf1283c, 0x00000000)

this crash (and varients of - sometimes just freezing) happens when playing any game

i am running winXP pro sp3

thankyou in advance :)

If ONLY when gaming, check voltages and temps IN GAME by running Everest in the background and looking at Computer-Sensor after a few minutes (before a crash obviously).

You should also look at and report those readings before running a game for comparison.

You can also run Memtest. See Guides here.

thankyou for your quick response

correct, this happens only when gaming

i unchecked auto restart to see the Stop error

what are Everest and Memtest? are these programs i need to get?

i am somewhat of a novice

thankyou, have downloaded Everest and will run before and 'in game'

i dont understand the instructions to use Memtest, might be beyond my capabilities :)

You run it and record what they are at idle. Then run a game for a short while (it usually only takes minutes to heat things up) and record again.

Then report them here side by side.

ok.....i found out that the fan on my video card wasnt working all the time so got a new one....now much better but still crashes......could it be the card itself?

when i say i 'got a new one' i mean the fan on the card....not the video card itself

anyways last crash wasnt a BSOD.....just a sudden termination of the program (sims 2)

before that was

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 6c801aaa, parameter3 ae738c48, parameter4 00000000.

Okay, attach your minidumps. You can Zip 5 together. 0x8E are hardware issues. Reading your previous posts here are steps on how to run memtest:

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. The test will take over.

4. Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

5. If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

6. Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test.

thanks for all the info....will do the memtest,

ok....next question is....where do i find my minidumps?

How to find your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need. Attach to your next post. Notice the Attachment Button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually

Three of the five minidumps cite the kmixer.sys driver as the probable. Unfortunately this is a Windows driver and too general to help.

One error 0x8E and these are almost always caused by hardware issues but sometimes by a driver. All it cited was Pool_Corruption which, again, is too general but it does point to driver issues.

The last cited an ATI driver.

So, run memtest (remember this takes a LONG time but well worth it) and get back to us. Let us know the results and we'll take it from there.

ok, ran Memtest, no errors found

updated drivers (btw the sound driver was released only 2 weeks after) so maybe this was part of the problem

no crash for a day!

will get back to you later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back