STOP errors at random times, all different codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonga2k6

Hey Techspot. My BSoDs have stopped for about a month, but they are now back up again. They occur at random intervals, like as soon as the computer starts up, or 5 hours after the computer has been started. Sometimes, Safe Mode will not load, and windows will not start all togther. I have a list of the initial STOP codes I have encountered so far. If you guys need the I/O codes or whatever else is on the stop message, please let me know. I have recorded almost every stop code I have got.

Those are the inital codes that I got, (the ones out of the parenthesis)

0x00000050

0x0000007A

0x000000D1 (with this code, there was a reference to storport.sys abd it says "Address 807A403D base at 807A2000, DateStamp 4549b1a1)

0x0000008E

and last but not least,
0x000000FC

If you need any other info, please let me know. I have also included my 5 minidumps from this year, and one is from today. Enjoy and thanks for your help!!

One error was 0xA and these are strong indicators of hardware issues as well as driver issues attempting to access an IRQ Level it has no right to. Only a Windows driver was cited as the probable cause which are too general to be of much help.

Three errors were 0x8E and these are almost always caused by hardware, particularly pointing to RAM, but sometimes to drivers.

Two simply cited hardware but the third pointed to the driver SaiH075C.sys and it took me a very long time researching to discover it is a driver for Saitek Magic Hotkey Device. It has to do with your joystick.

One error is 0x7E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information.

But other than a Windows driver nothing was definitive.

A. Update your joystick drivers.

B. Run memtest on your memory.

Hmm...of all things, that joystick. Thanks a lot, it was the last thing that had come to mind. Much appreciated! I got memtest running on the rig overnight. I'll be sure to post on here tomorrow with an update.

Alright, just got a new BSoD. I updated my joystick drivers and software, and my mouse and keyboard software. It ran flawlessly last night, no problems whatsoever. I just turned the computer on within 15 minutes, and I got a new BSoD.

0x0000007F (0x0000000D, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
I'll boot her up in safe mode and try to find a minidump. Any suggestions on that type of BSoD?

Also, as far as memtest goes, I ran 13 passes with 0 errors.

0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

How much memory are you running? attach your minidump.

I've currently got 2 gigs. I would love to attach a minidump, but it didn't create one. It seems to create only a select few of minidumps. I just had another BSoD in safe mode, while I was trying to extract some files for a HD diagnostic. The code was:

0x000000FC. and this time, it created the minidump.

0xFC and this is caused by hardware and there is a driver involved as well but it doesn't get specific.

Try this: Completely uninstall all drivers/software for your joystick; unplug joystick. Are you still getting BSODs?

Alright, I deleted all the drivers, and removed some software. Joystick is now unplugged. I'm posting this comment on the computer with the issue, so that's a plus. Theres some saitek dlls in system32, but will removing those even do anything since I removed the drivers and turned the joystick off?

Left-over drivers can cause issues in the future. I helped one woman who was getting crashes and some Norton drivers were coming up in her dumps. Here's the thing: She had uninstalled it 6 years ago!

Let me suggest that you go to MajorGeeks.com and install RegCleaner. This is great little utility. Caution: Any time you deal with the registry one must be careful. When you open RegCleaner look for the Uninstall TAB and only uninstall the items that have to do with your joystick. Leave the rest alone.

Well, I completly uninstalled everything (I think) from my joystick. Up until today, things were going great. I blue screened about 4 or 5 times today, and they (to my memory) reported 0xD1 and 0x8E. Finally, on the latest blue screen, it decided to create a minidump. If any of you could analyze this for me, that would be awesome. Thanks!

I ran memtest with 13 passes last week, no errors. I'll run it again tonight and see. Oh by the way, I got a new STOP code about 10 minutes ago. I'll see if I can scram into safe mode real quick and salvage up the MiniDump, if it created it. The stop code is 0x19, BAD_POOL_HEADER I believe. Is this usually caused by memory aswell? Thanks.

That error is pointing to corrupt drivers. In particular symevent.sys was cited as the problem. This belongs to Symantec.

You know what, I may just wipe this thing clean and try a new installation...maybe. I think I'll uninstall AVG, and reinstall Norton, since clashing antiviruses can apparantly cause BSoDs. Do you think there are multiple problems? The reason I'm asking is because one minidump pointed to the joystick, one pointed to hardware, and one pointed to norton. I ordered new RAM just to keep it on the safe side. What actions do you think I should take?

Uninstall AVG and use their removal tool. All things Norton should have been removed prior to installing AVG. Use Norton's removal tool. Then before you do a reformat consider the following...

Better Security Options for Your System:

Paid Antivirus - Kaspersky, NOD32; both are excellent.

Free Antivirus - Avast 4.8, Avira; they have $ versions but their free are really good

Paid and Free Firewall - Online Armor

Free Firewall - COMODO; you'll most likely have to tweak it

Antispyware/malware

Free and $ - SuperAntispyware -- excellent; you have manually update for the free version

$ - Malwarebytes -- excellent.

Thanks a bunch, I'll have to look into those. Alright, here's the deal. I uninstalled AVG, and I haven't got to uninstalling norton yet. With this conflicker thing going around, I don't really want to update from the internet with no protection whatsoever. Anyway, I uninstalled AVG, and the computer was running flawlessly friday and saturday. I got a new stop code (0x24, which has me worried), and another 0xD1. If you could check out these two minidumps, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

One error is 0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM and is defoned by Auhma.org as
a problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

Run a harddrive diagnosis; it cited Poo-Corruption as the probable cause. I would run scans for infections or you may be looking at a Windows Repair.

The 0xD1 said the probable cause is nvlddmkm.sys which is an Nvidia display driver.

I ran chkdsk/r and it didn't even scan, and said the drive was clean. I also downloaded a Western Digital HDD diagnostic tool and ran both tests, totaling 2.5 hours, no errors. I booted up and recieved a 0xA BSoD. I'll get the minidump for that tomorrow, as I'm getting fed up with this whole thing...it's pointing fingers in every direction. I tried windows repair multiple times aswell, and it's given me no issues. My nvidia drivers are also all up-to-date. I'll uninstall norton, and move on to kapersky. I'll investigate that ntfs.sys file aswell. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back