Stop returning pings

drensmith

I have windows 7 64bit pc. im trying to have good security, however my pc is returning pings. ports are in stealth mode, need instruction to get pc to stop returning pings,,,thanx

The important issue is to stop PING from the wan side of the router - - the Lan side doesn't matter at all (ie web users cant access it)

Um...wan side,,, my side? lol
Guess you can't find the Internet side of the router (ie commonly called the WAN -- Wide Area Network).
Give me the make/model of your router and I'll see how to guide you further

To access the router config, use your browser and type 192.168.1.1 as the url - hit enter

Click Settings to configure your router. Once the login screen appears, enter Admin next to
Username and then enter your password (refer to “login password” on the label located on the bottom of the router). Click Continue.

HOWEVER, this device does not have the option to allow/disable ping from the Internet.
While disallowing ping reply is 'nice to have', it is by no means a silver bullet to protect you.
There are other technologies at work such as your Anti-Virus and the Win/7 firewall.

Sleep well

Maximum SecurityInbound Policy: Reject.
Remote Administration settings will override the inbound security policy.
Outbound Policy: Reject.
Outbound access is allowed to the following services: DHCP, DNS, IMAP, SMTP, POP3, HTTPS, HTTP, FTP, Telnet.
would this security be better?

I also saw a ip distribution thingy that was enabled,,,should I un-enable it?

Virtural wan is disabled,,,whatever that means

Maximum SecurityInbound Policy: Reject.
Remote Administration settings will override the inbound security policy.
this is used for systems JOINED to a Domain
Outbound Policy: Reject.
low security impact, but high usability impact - - every application would then need to have an ALLOW rule
Outbound access is allowed to the following services: DHCP, DNS, IMAP, SMTP, POP3, HTTPS, HTTP, FTP, Telnet.
Deny SMTP
would this security be better?
not IMO. the win/7 defaults are good enough, unless you're concerned about some keylogger phoning home, in which case you would DENY outbound port 25 and then add an ALLOW for that same port from specifically your email reader
I also saw a ip distribution thingy that was enabled,,,should I un-enable it?
never heard of this
Virtural wan is disabled,,,whatever that means

Back