Stop what you're doing and check out the Winamp Skin Museum

onetheycallEric

Staff
Blast from the past: If you're looking for a solid fix of nostalgia, look no further. The interactive Winamp Skin Museum recently went live, and it doesn't get much more late 90s and early aughts than this.

Also read: What Ever Happened to Winamp

A collective history of Winamp skins, all aggregated onto one infinitely scrolling page isn't something you know you need -- until you see it. Frankly, this is what 2020 has been missing. From Final Fantasy VII to Surge, the whole gang is here.

The Winamp Skin Museum takes the Winamp skins that have been preserved over at The Internet Archive, and presents them in a much more interactive and functional interface. Interactive because you can scroll through and click on a skin to immediately preview it, and functional because with one more click, the skin can be loaded into Webamp. Webamp is a browser-based version of Winamp 2 that runs on HTML5 and JavaScript.

Both the Winamp Skin Museum and Webamp are side projects that Jordan Eldredge is responsible for. Additionally, Eldredge has the Winamp Skin Twitter bot that tweets a different Winamp skin every few hours. These skins can be loaded directly into a browser via Webamp.

Overall, it's a wonderful homage to the best media player that ever graced our desktops, and an important part of internet history and content creation.

For more on the history of Winamp, check out our What Ever Happened to Winamp feature.

Permalink to story.

I would but I actually have no MP3s on my computer. In fact the only place I still have them is on a very old 256mb creative MP3 player (2006) and an old 120GB mechanical IDE hard drive that was used in the same era. I joined Spotify in 2009, since then I have not had the need to download MP3s.

I still use Winamp 2.91 and have an archived, curated collection of more than 300 skins that I gathered during the 2000s. Some of them don't even seem to be available anywhere on the internet anymore, last time I checked.

Still, this skin museum is a great collection and very convenient and practical to navigate. I never thought this would happen again but I might end up adding a few more skins to my collection for the first time in 14 years...

This is the first I've heard of Webamp, so thanks for that Still happily running Winamp, last official update is 5.8 b3660. :) I also hadn't heard of WACUP, either..just checked it out and its amazing. Exactly what Winamp SHOULD have become by now - the ultimate power player. Its only missing what I would consider a couple of of useful features and I'd imagine the developer is open to suggestions judging by the progress I'm seeing so far. Thanks for posting that, kimo1 (y) (Y)

I would but I actually have no MP3s on my computer. In fact the only place I still have them is on a very old 256mb creative MP3 player (2006) and an old 120GB mechanical IDE hard drive that was used in the same era. I joined Spotify in 2009, since then I have not had the need to download MP3s.
MP3s are the only way I listen to music and I would not join anything to listen to music

MP3s are the only way I listen to music and I would not join anything to listen to music
I do remember my cassette collection, then the CD's (who remembers the ESP button on sony discman?)
I also have subscription for 2 music streaming platforms and while they do allow you to download the songs you can only play them through the app and while you have the subscription. I miss owning my music library transferring/copying them on USB for a long drive etc. especially as connectivity can be very spotty at best for such, and data on roaming ain't cheap.
Hence I also maintain a small collection of MP3 for my needs.Streaming is great but I miss reading the cover of albums....and the art on them too.

I do remember my cassette collection, then the CD's (who remembers the ESP button on sony discman?)
I also have subscription for 2 music streaming platforms and while they do allow you to download the songs you can only play them through the app and while you have the subscription. I miss owning my music library transferring/copying them on USB for a long drive etc. especially as connectivity can be very spotty at best for such, and data on roaming ain't cheap.
Hence I also maintain a small collection of MP3 for my needs.Streaming is great but I miss reading the cover of albums....and the art on them too.
I had hundreds of cassette's. Loved them and making tapes was a great past time while watching my young daughters. Cassette's time has gone and years have past since I distilled them to digital and tossed all but a few. I have a boombox in the garage that warbles when I try to play one so they never get listened to though I have the music. Made my first mix tape in 71

but I miss reading the cover of albums....and the art on them too.

Album covers were a great art form. I haven't seen a new album cover in years so I can't speak to what is being released these days

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 1
Back