Strange happening to Quake3 ping

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello,
I play Quake 3 Arena and i have a strange problem.
I have My favorite servers in q3 favorite, that with a reasonable low ping. It was ok since 2 months ago. All in Sudden all my favorite servers became high ping servers, and some other servers became low Ping servers, that were high ping in past. This made my upset as i couldnt play on my fav servers. Any how i searched other servers of low ping in this situation, but after 12 days these new servers became HIGH PING servers, and my old fav servers again became LOW ping servers? I changed my ISP and again situation inverted, but on this new ISP, after some days again all LOW pin servers became HIGH PING servers? I switched back to the old ISP and again i got all HGIH LOW?
OK, then i cleaned my registry (Win98SE), deleted swap file, emptied the IE temporary folder, used SCANREG /F, scndisk etc etc, and now again situation inverted?
I am upset because this makes me change fav servers.
My questions are these:
Is ther something happening to my computer?
Or with ISP?
Or is there teco change happening in lines? (i use dialup)
hope i explained my problem

Welcome to Techspot :)

When you connect at dial-up with the old ISP what type of connection speed did you get in kbps compared to the new ISP?

Could be the ISP could be your dial-up modem could be anything? Things like this happen, as I do remember the days of 3.1/95/98 on dial-up. There were programs that can tweak the TCP/UDP for 98 and dial-up features have you ever tried those?

Again you did the right thing, clearing out the cache for IE and etc.. is the right way to do it..

thanks tipstir.
Connection speed in kbps is 115200 (DTE) and it connects at 49993 KBps (DCE), on both ISP as i restricted connection speed between 46667 and 48000, so i always get 48000, regardless of ISP.
What made me upset is this why this happening? what is the reason? My line is clear, and i download at 5.6kilobytes constant speed (compressed files ),
No other speed difference is observed in any other internet thing, BUT quake 3 servers.
Now, a new addition: Previously when this happened, i clean registry delete IE cache, uninstall modem, reinstall , defrag disks, etc, OR/AND change ISP and by doin this i again got LOW ping FAV servers back, but now all old servers remain HIGH ping servers, for about 20 days. But i know those will again become LOW ping as in past.
IS there any quake 3 setting disturbed or it is just the dial-up ****? and i remember it never happened in the wholse last year.

You might have remove something from the registry and didn't know it. That's why that these reg cleaners might be removing objects that are needed in the registry to work correctly.

Thank you for quick replt. I am now thinking to reinstall Windows. Is that the right way to restore original registry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back