Strange Impression on My Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

tw0rld

I have attached a pic to this thread. It depicts an impression that appeared on my desktop 2day. Does anyone know what it is? what caused it? and how can I remove it?:confused:

Attachments

• desktop.jpg
    desktop.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 21
Very interesting! I would use task manager and the events logs to shed light on running processes and errors. HiJackThis (HJT) tool generates a log file that displays running processes. Links to obtain HJT are in Malware Removal Procedures

I did check to see what were the processes that were running, but I found nothing strange. Any way I restarted windows and everything returned to normal. I am thinking that it might have had something to do with my graphics card (visiontek Ati Radeon 9250 pci). PCI? Yeah, I know.So everything is back to normal. so consider the problem solved.

I've finally realized that the problem was caused by a Spybot S&D Window, some it left an imprint on my desktop. I found this out by just playing around with the minimize button and sure enough the same imprint appeared only this time it doesn't hang around.

When you get a strange occurrence like this, run the Error Check. It's great for getting rid of glitches like this! You didn't tell us what OS you have so I can't give you the directions for this.

Run Error Check?

That is way too obvious! However, I cannot recall ever using this tool. Normally I'm too bashful to ask for answers without digging, BUT this is one of my exceptions.

Sorry- I usually type it out. Here is the 'path':

My Computer> right click on Local Drive- usually C> Properties>Tools tab> Error Check> check both boxes on screen that comes up> OK> Reboot. The Error check will begin in 9 sec.

Let it run. System will reboot when through. A great tool for glitches and good to include in the routine maintenance.

Thanks - as I feared - I overlooked the obvious. CHKDSK /f is always good to keeps things right..

At the risk of bannishment, 'EvilFantasy' at another board posted a resonable guide for routine tasks to keep the computer tuned-up. I believe a membership (free) is required to view this area of the board (security): Slow Computer? Might not be Malware.

Yep, that's a good run down for slow computer. I think there are some 'stickies' here. It would be so helpful when users think they have malware if they told us right off what there problem was. I am very big on maintenance, always encourage it strongly.

Every log I look at here has all or most of these loading:
QuickTime Task
Musicmatch Jukebox
iTunesHelper
TkBellExe - RealPlayer Update
ISUSScheduler or ISUSPM Startup - InstallShield Updater Service
DVDLauncher - CyberLink PowerDVD
Adobe Reader Speed Launcher
Google Updater

These are mentioned in the slow computer write up. I've tried to encourage all of them stopped along with some of the other 'usuals' like too many startups, disc cleanup et al. Plus add the Java updater, which is strange because most don't have the current version! I think most don't understand that programs don't have to start on boot to be available.

When I use the Error Check, I do the scan and fix, reboot. Some don't like the reboot-but I've found that works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back