Strange Irregularity concerning Windows Explorer & uTorrent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

torrenter

Hi guys, I need some help if you can. I've just downloaded some data, and can't seem to find the download in my designated download folder (C:\Program Files\uTorrent\Downloads). uTorrent recognises my completed download and is seeding. When I look via Windows Explorer for the download in my download folder it just simply isn't there! And if I click "Open Containing folder" from uTorrent, I get this:

"C:\Program Files\uTorrent\Downloads\(Download) refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location."

Since this error is from Windows, I'm hoping that someone might know what he problem is, or could be? I'm using Vista Ultimate.

Thanks for any help...

I've just downloaded some data...uTorrent recognises my completed download
I'd like to know what support may be allowed to be given on this.

ie What Data?
Why uTorrent?

My presumption on your download, is that it has Not downloaded to your HardDrive at all, and is still sitting in Limbo somewhere (across many seeders)

Your best option would be to delete it, and start again.

You have also mentioned that by using uTorrent, that others are then trying to seed it from you. I can't tell you how bad that sounds regarding privacy on your drive. Be aware (after tons and tons of reading) that your single shared folder, is not really the truth in sharing. Realistically you are giving others access to your entire drive; and lots of info (your IP; your location; your connection; and Name) Let alone any other data that users can get at (quite easily)

I would recommend you get your Data from somewhere else. Or use strict firewall and privacy measures (namely Linux)

On top of all this. I don't believe it is a Windows OS problem. (More likely: Security and the Web)

Thanks for your reply Kimsland.

What do you mean though, that you'd like to know what support can be given on this. I'm asking for support. Having been to the uTorrent forums, any talk of problems with downloads there is out of the question. Which is ridiculous, considering bittorrent is a p2p format.

"What data?"

Again, how does this matter? Many different types of files have come through to me via bittorrent, and I've never had this problem. It has just been now.

The error message came via Windows Explorer, not uTorrent, or any firewall/antivirus for that matter. So, this is why I've decided to post in OS & Software \Windows OS. I considered posting my topic in Miscallenous Software/Utils, as uTorrent was involved.

I'm not doubting the security of my PC.
If everyone was overly worried about security while using p2p formats, nothing would get done. I have a firewall and antivirus - like wearing a condom. If a hacker wants to hack it, he will. If a chick wants to poke a needle in a condom she will.

I cannot recollect any time where I've had a virus, or been hacked. I'd be surprised if I heard someone I knew had their PC genuinely hacked into. Where's the challenge in hacking into a pleb's PC? These guys go after the big boys, please.

Anyway, I'm going off on a tangent there. I did what you said though. I removed the .torrent file and data of the download, via utorrent, as I could not find it via Windows Explorer. I then changed the download folder to be on my other hard disk. It's completed, and I can see it via the Explorer. I guess it was an anomoly.

Thanks again, see you around.....

My concern was to the boards recommendation on this, and not specifically at you.
Therefore I'd still like to know if support (and exactly how much support) can be given with questions like this (ie hundreds of Torrent managers and download services out there)
What is the recommendation?

No need for a reply from you torrenter, and I'm glad you data is now available.
But if any Moderator or Admin could enlighten me, it would help, in this area.

Torrent usage is a non-issue so help the poster as best you can.

Many, myself included, suggest against Torrents as they tend to be sites with infections, but that's my paranoia :)

Talk about torrent clients and the network is OK
ie. Discussing uTorrent, connection speeds, port settings, best configurations etc...

Talking about the torrents your are downloading specifically is NOT OK.
ie. Help with downloading Adobe Acrobat Professional, trying to seed Windows Vista etc..

Furthermore, even though such questions may address public domain, freeware or other such unprotected IP, know that we may delete the post anyway since none of us know the copyright status of every single piece of "prior art" on planet Earth. :) Also, I'm sure there are very few of us (if any) that are well schooled in international intellectual property law.

And of course, the reason this is OK to discuss is there are plenty of legitimate reasons to use torrents (just as many are illegitimate though), especially in the FOSS community (Linux, BSD etc...) and big companies like Blizzard have adopted the technology for their own use.

torrenter said:
If a hacker wants to hack it, he will. If a chick wants to poke a needle in a condom she will.
Wise words. :D

This might sound stupid, but I would use the windows search to find the name of the torrent that is listed in uTorrent. It should be somewhere on your computer if it is seeding. I would be interested in seeing where it ended up.

And of course, we'll still need to get your uTorrent issues resolved. I would try uninstalling (if you used the installer) and reinstalling it. Alternatively (and perhaps necessarily) you could delete the registry keys it creates using Start > Run > Regedit.exe and delete the application settings in Windows Explorer by typing %appdata% in the address bar and deleting the uTorrent folder. As far as registry keys go, you'll need to practice your google-foo and find out where they are located (Probably HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE under Software > uTorrent.

You may want to check out the %appdata%\uTorrent folder itself as well, because that is the default download location of .torrent files, if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps, for some reason, it is also downloading the actual files to that directory as well.

This certainly sounds like an odd problem. One I would have guessed was related to an incomplete download, but you say its complete so I'd like to see you try this if possible.

Delete the .torrent file associated with whatever you downloaded. Then see if there is a completion moving option in uTorrent, there almost certainly is. Change that to a different directory, like C:\uTorrent Temp or something, doesn't matter just as long as it is somewhere else. Then go out and find that .torrent file again, open it up with uTorrent.

This will make uTorrent check what you have downloaded, and once the check completes it should move the data to the new directory you specified for Completion Moving.

/thinking outside the box

Thanks guys for your help and advice. I thought my messenger client would alert me to these replies. I thought creating a post meant you were subscribed to it? Strange..just read these replies now.

What I had done in the meantime was uninstall the latest uTorrent, and just went back to the 1.5 version with it's simple executable, no installer. Not sure if it really solved the problem, but as I now download straight to my 2nd (backup) disk (viruses-nooooo don't do it, lol!), I don't seem to have any problem in finding my files via Windows Explorer. I guess this means I haven't solved a problem, but possibly just dodged it. Better than nothing I suppose.

Thanks again.

torrenter said:
Thanks guys for your help and advice. I thought my messenger client would alert me to these replies. I thought creating a post meant you were subscribed to it? Strange..just read these replies now.
You are correct; Click on My Posts and you will see what you've created AND replied to.

Its in your User Options on whether you are getting notified of replies.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/profile.php?do=editoptions
For me:
Default Thread Subscription Mode
When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.
Default Thread Subscription Mode: Do Not Subscribe

But when you create a post you can set it for the specific thread, you can do the same on a reply too, you just have to click Go Advanced first.

Thanks guys. I don't remember asking not to be notified by e-mail of replies to my posts, as I had been getting them in the past. But I'll be sure of setting this up in my profile/settings.

How strange! All my threads are still "Instant Notification", but I only get notifications from time to time. For example, I've recieved an e-mail about jobeard's recent reply, but not SNGX1275's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back